Mare's Illegal Cute-ness (Call Duck) Chat Thread!!

@WVduckchick
This is the crested duckling at the bottom of the photo. I'm a relative newbie to call ducks, so I'm unfamiliar with the exact differences between some of the colors as ducklings.

IMG20230614222436.jpg

Last edited:
@WVduckchick
This is the crested duckling at the bottom of the photo. I'm a relative newbie to call ducks, so I'm unfamiliar with the exact differences between some of the colors as ducklings.

View attachment 3551289
Oh dear, that’s a cutie!! Large crest though. Watch her (and if any others are crested) very closely, especially early on. Being crested can be dangerous, but they are so friggin adorable!

I see blue bibbed, black bibbed, snowy, chocolate bibbed, blue fawn, white, grey, blue pied, and nutmeg (maybe butterscotch?). The fully yellow ones could be white or buff, I think.

Oh dear, that’s a cutie!! Large crest though. Watch her (and if any others are crested) very closely, especially early on. Being crested can be dangerous, but they are so friggin adorable!

I see blue bibbed, black bibbed, snowy, chocolate bibbed, blue fawn, white, grey, blue pied, and nutmeg (maybe butterscotch?). The fully yellow ones could be white or buff, I think.

None of the adults that I have are crested, so I wasn't planning on hatching any crested ducklings to begin with. But apparently there are carriers of the gene within my flock.
When I moved her head out of her shell during hatch, my heart kind of dropped a bit honestly. I don't really like the idea of crested ducks because of their increased risk for injury, neurologic issues, etc :confused:
Thankfully, that particular duckling has the largest crest. Most of the other crested ducklings have such small crests that I didn't even notice until they were fluffed up.

IMG20230621222328.jpg
IMG20230621221733.jpg

None of the adults that I have are crested, so I wasn't planning on hatching any crested ducklings to begin with. But apparently there are carriers of the gene within my flock.
When I moved her head out of her shell during hatch, my heart kind of dropped a bit honestly. I don't really like the idea of crested ducks because of their increased risk for injury, neurologic issues, etc :confused:
Thankfully, that particular duckling has the largest crest. Most of the other crested ducklings have such small crests that I didn't even notice until they were fluffed up.

View attachment 3552751 View attachment 3552754
You may want to consider not breeding that duck anymore (if you know which ones are the parents). I agree it can be cute but that's just not worth all the potential health problems.

View attachment 3552751 View attachment 3552754
Oh my gersh. Too cute! 🥰

I moved my adults out of their pen/coop area, clipped their wings and turned them loose with our goose and tortoise a little while back. It's a huge uncovered area with plenty of sheltered spaces for nesting or sleeping. It's taken them a bit to completely settle in, but I found my girl Peeky nesting today so they must be feeling comfortable. They certainly act happy. ❤️.
Can anyone tell me if I should keep clipping their wings? I keep seeing a lot of pictures of Calls that look like they're living without roofing to keep them in...does anyone ever lose a duck to flying away? Mine were used to free time in the garden and I've always clipped their wings, but now I'm wondering how necessary it is.

Back
Top Bottom