Margo is in Trouble

Well, this really should be my final post on this thread. Margo just laid her first egg since she first seemed sick in July. I’d say she’s back! I’ll probably never know if the molt was a stress reaction to a bacterial infection or if it was only molt all along, but I’m so happy she is feeling good. If it was only molt. Wow. Just wow. I thought she was dying in my arms (laid lifeless with her eyes closed and face in the dirt when I laid her down and remember the weird hunch?) Thanks again to everyone for your support. And though this thread is a very long read, hopefully there is something to be learned from it.
8B868199-E6D4-471C-AED0-D2513C7E822C.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
This is a thread from last year, but I just realized I should close it out with Margo’s necropsy results (which were posted in her more recent thread). The thought last summer was that she had an oviduct infection. A few of you (@Wyorp Rock @rebrascora @Bocktobery 10) mentioned the possibility of internal laying or EYP. @rebrascora (sorry, tagging you twice) noticed something Marek’s-like. Well, she probably DID drop an internal yolk last summer, as she had chronic EYP, only detected upon microscopy. She also had Marek’s. So there you have it. I found it interesting to go back through this thread; I don’t mean to clutter up the top of the emergency forum.

@Bocktobery 10, I was revisiting this thread to see how I treated Margo. (still looking for that... I think I gave amoxicillin, but should have used doxycycline.) Anyway, you were correct. Margo got sick a year later with a septic infection and I learned upon necropsy she had chronic, dorsal egg yolk peritonitis, which explains the strange stance. Poor baby’s back was sore.

Back
Top Bottom