1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Marking eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oldchickenman, Oct 27, 2008.

1. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    Im new to Incubating is it ok to mark eggs with markers such as sharpe or is pencil best? Thanks

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    A pencil is best because you don't have to worry about it bleeding through the eggshell. [​IMG]

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    No problem at all. Mark date laid, breed etc.

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a pencil and colored pencils. Works great for me. Then I can erase what ever I marked on it during incubation and remark it.

5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I mark mine all the time, in fact the ones you get from me will have the hens name on them. I marked those in pencil, but once I start to candle I mark any iffy ones with an x or question mark so I can check on them again.
    There was a debate on here about sharpies bleeding through and honestly they don't.

6. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    So it is ok to use sharpies?

7. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Yes, as with anything else there will be varying opinions. Do I recommend you have a coloring spree on the eggs, no. But marking them to keep up with them is perfectly fine.
    I sometimes set multiple staggered hatches. I keep a large calendar handy and use different color sharpies on my calendar and use the same colors on those particular eggs in the bator.
    This is very handy as I have, on more than one occassion, moved the wrong eggs to the hatcher at the wrong time.

8. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I know when I get eggs I would like them to me marked in pencil, but have had one with sharpie and have not noticed ill effects in hatching

9. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have heard the ink might be bad for the egg, but I havent done it so have no experience with that. I use a pencil.

10. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I used sharpies for my first few hatches, and then just pencils the last few, and I did get better hatches with pencil than sharpies. I wondered if the sharpies had some effect that lowered the chance of hatch ability. I personally will only use pencils from now on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by