Marlo finally did the deed....sort of

magikchick

~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~
12 Years
Apr 21, 2007
SW Florida
My silkie roo Marlo has been courting the ladies for a while now with no success. Yesterday one of the banty decided to let him have a go. Poor guy got so excited he jumped up on her and fell over sidesways. It was a complete miss
he.gif
and of couse he couldn't talk her into a retry.

Poor Margo! He's male. He will certainly try again and he'll get better at it. My two young 27 week roos are learning. The Polish simply went about the deed by raping. He isn't rough but he isn't a gentleman. He doesn't woo the hens with treats. He just hops on board when he feels like it.
My BLRWyandotte has suddenly learned that "announcing treats" is a hen magnet. He'd doing that to death and he finally(huge as he is) has decided not to be intimidated by my elder hens. He nailed the bossy bag, Maxine, yesterday. She's a good layer but totally a witch. I thought it was kinda funny to see how shocked she was by his sudden boldness. She's not chasing him down anymore but rather giving him a wide berth. I think he just decided he show everyone who is boss by getting her. lol!

I only have one roo, a silkie. Yesterday was the first time I saw one of the silkie hens let him hop-on-top! Then I think he lost his balance too because he sure did not stay on for more than a couple of seconds. Ok, so I am NEW at chicken farming!! I only have one roo...so I have no idea what you mean Lynn when you say yours is "announcing treats". Please clue this novice in on what you mean....yes, I am a bit ignorant as far as chicken mating goes!!

Quote:
I don't know if you've ever heard a pigeon coo... but roos will discover food and coo. This attracts the attention of the hens and brings them running. Often the roo will pick the tidbit up and drop it for a hen. It's adorable. My ol' heart melts when my little dark Brahma bantam, John Robert, does this. My HUGE 27 week old Wyandotte, Dennis, is learning to do this. My 27 week old Polish, Shag, has never done it. Someone here posted a video of their roo doing this. I wish I could find it for you. I always want to snatch my fellas up and give em a smooch when they do it. Try watching Margo when you throw out a few treats and see if he is actuallt eating himself or offering them to the hens. He may not do this but you may have been missing it. John Robert always does it. He'll wait til everyone gets full before he actually begins to eat some food himself.

Back
Top Bottom