Mass Chick Death- WHAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED???

Pics
So sad... you have such beautiful healthy birds. If the steel of the can was in good shape when you got it then yes, it should be 100% predator/pest proof. I’ve seen some pretty sketchy cans finished out nice on the inside, but you know what it looked like when you installed it... not doubting you there.

Probably the leakage causing moldy feed was the issue. At least the weather is finally getting better, which will help with the condensation issues. Have you considered a bathroom vent fan or RV fan to help with air circulation? They do help... we’re in a 5th wheel while we build our house, and have been having mold issues this year too.

In all my life of having chickens, I’ve never seen this. Anybody have an idea?

In my secure chick barn this morning (newer 20’ sea can with upper ventilation- no way for predators to get in) I found about 20-30 chicks dead. These were 10 days old. Many were out of their pen, some strewn on the floor, many stuffed in books and crannies dead, like they were terrified and hiding.

There were 12 survivors still in their pen, under their heat plate. Seemed fine but scared.

In another pen were some 5 week olds- all fine. One was out and seemed dazed, a couple of the small ones were somehow in their pen, dead.

This looked like a massacre / attack. Yet not a drop of blood was seen. Not a single injury noted. All looked like they died at the same time- last night. All were fine at last check yesterday evening.

Today all the survivors seem fine. No signs of illness at all.

Craziest thing. I’ve searched the entire building & there is no sign of a predator anywhere, or droppings, tracks, or signs anything could have possibly gotten in. This is a sea can insulated, with windows & lined with plywood.

It’s like a bomb went off and they all died of fright. WTF...?!?!
Probably the cold weather killed them off. Maybe you don't have sufficient heating area.

So sad... you have such beautiful healthy birds. If the steel of the can was in good shape when you got it then yes, it should be 100% predator/pest proof. I’ve seen some pretty sketchy cans finished out nice on the inside, but you know what it looked like when you installed it... not doubting you there.

Probably the leakage causing moldy feed was the issue. At least the weather is finally getting better, which will help with the condensation issues. Have you considered a bathroom vent fan or RV fan to help with air circulation? They do help... we’re in a 5th wheel while we build our house, and have been having mold issues this year too.

Maybe it was the moldy feed if it causes chicks to act hysterical and then die all at once like that.

It’s true that we somehow need to improve the ventilation. We have a fan that brings in fresh air & exhausts old air outside. But during cold weather it doesn’t help well enough to stop condensation. You can see moisture on the windows in some of my pics & there’s a musty smell in my cabinet in there.

But if your can was in really good shape before your build it shouldn’t be a problem. And the way you’ve got it set shouldn’t leave it vulnerable to rusting any new holes...

The can was perfectly intact & solid steel. I know rats can chew, but that would be extreme to chew through a shipping container. It’s only very recently that the dogs are indicating ‘rat alert’.

I’ve caught a couple in traps & have ordered a rattinator trap.

The can was perfectly intact & solid steel. I know rats can chew, but that would be extreme to chew through a shipping container. It’s only very recently that the dogs are indicating ‘rat alert’.

I’ve caught a couple in traps & have ordered a rattinator trap.
Yes but I don't think it impossible that a determined critter can squeeze between the plywood and metal and get in through that gap.

Back
Top Bottom