Massive incoming grain and food shortages

Pics
I may not have all the answers and tinypa can correct me, but that’s a lot of stuff. I can only assume they have a large area like maybe an open pole barn where they can hang this stuff to dry. It would prolly need good air circulation much like some people have dried Mary Jane in the past.
We have some old school tobacco barns north of me. They're really cool.
One does the whole process like back in the day when everything was horse drawn. They do tours and when I was in 5th grade we had a field trip there.
It was interesting. So much so I think several of us were smoking by our 6th grade year.

Jokes people

I may not have all the answers and tinypa can correct me, but that’s a lot of stuff. I can only assume they have a large area like maybe an open pole barn where they can hang this stuff to dry. It would prolly need good air circulation much like some people have dried Mary Jane in the past.
I don't have a large area, but when you cut a bit every day or so, it doesn't take a ton of space and it all adds up. Here is a pic of sugar snap peas drying on the trellis they had been growing on.

Attachments

• 20220703_200453.jpg
    20220703_200453.jpg
    772.6 KB · Views: 7
I don't have a large area, but when you cut a bit every day or so, it doesn't take a ton of space and it all adds up. Here is a pic of sugar snap peas drying on the trellis they had been growing on.
Will you store the entire pea plant, or just the pods? Or cut the small tendrils off to dry them?

Went to a 'big-box' store today to buy some pasta, dried beans, legumes, peas, canned goods etc. Shelves were nearly bare with just enough product to make shelves appear full, and what they did have was not really food; they had way overpriced things like potato chips at $7 a bag (that's U.S. Dollars for a regular size bag), and all manner of candy and marshmallows. I was surprised to see the price tag on marshmallows... $7 a bag. Meat has doubled in price since last week and the line was out the door for it. I bought my 'limit' of Spam, chicken vienna sausage, and sardines packed in sunflower oil. They did not have eggs, milk, peas, black beans (they had red beans, but I cannot eat them for digestive health reasons), canned fruit, oat meal, rice flour, corn flour, cereal, they DID have four loaves of bread left, but they looked as if someone walked on them so I left them on the shelf. They had soy cooking oil (I won't use soy), but only the big 5 gallon bucket size available, like restaurants use; The one-gallon size cooking oils of all manner were not to be found. Bacon was available, but at $20 for a half-pound, I left it on the shelf. The freezer section was nearly wiped out.
This store is usually wall to wall, warehouse style, groceries, and usually is my go-to for stocking up on the items I mentioned that they didn't have, so I was disappointed with my shopping trip.

And this stupid administration wants to pay farmers to leave more land fallow for "conservation."🤦
THIS administration? I hope you know this has been going on since the 1930s.
It is increasingly clear to me that some younger Americans need to learn some history, especially those who absorb only ultra right wing media who will relentlessly lie because they are counting on you to not know the truth.
The CRP was originally begun to address soil erosion and create more stable watersheds. Conservation efforts faded during World War II with a focus on production, but congress brought the program back to the fore afterward. Conservation efforts again took a back seat with expanded production efforts during the Nixon and Ford administrations. That led to the '80s farm crisis and renewed soil erosion concerns.
My family participated in the program from the '50s to the 80s. That spanned a lot of administrations: Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan.
The CRP program was alive and well through most of those administrations - and it works.
It isn't a program spawned by any administration; congresses have included it in every farm bill.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom