1. Steergirl

Steergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston Area
    Can someone who is good at math figure how many hens it would hold (I would put it inside a run). And how many bantams it would hold.
    I have tried it and I am usually good at math but I think my number's are wrong.
    BTW: It is the first coop pictured.
    http://houston.craigslist.org/for/2333042040.html

2. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    They look tiny...I wouldn't put more than 4 standard hens or 6 banties in there.

3. NattiFan

NattiFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Plainfield, CT
    oh wait, you did say math people...why the heck did I click on it??[​IMG] Anyway, I took a look...and you said the first coop?? looks very small. I wouldn't try to put more than 4 standard sized hens in there. 3 square feet per hen is a good rule of thumb. Good luck

4. Steergirl

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston Area
    If I get it it will have to house no more than 6 bantams. I was just wondering how many standard hens it could hold although I don't really need to know that.

5. TouchO'Lass

TouchO'Lass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    I may be doing this wrong, but let me try:

20.9" X 20.9"= 436.8"sq. Divided by 144 (1 sq ft) = 3 sq ft. If you need 2 to 3 sq ft / standard chicken, I think 6 bantams would be pretty crowded...[​IMG]

6. Steergirl

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston Area
    TouchO'Lass :

I may be doing this wrong, but let me try:

20.9" X 20.9"= 436.8"sq. Divided by 144 (1 sq ft) = 3 sq ft. If you need 2 to 3 sq ft / standard chicken, I think 6 bantams would be pretty crowded...[​IMG]

Ok so my math wasn't wrong! I was just wondering how someone would list that as a chicken coop when it is so small!​

7. Steergirl

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston Area
  8. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    I am new to this but I have read alot about needing ventilation and none of these look like they have any ventilation at all. Since I live in an area where it frequently gets in the 90's in the summer I would be afraid my chickens would cook in a house like this.

9. LaStrawberryMom

LaStrawberryMom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Louisiana
    Quote:Thats funny.... because I thought the same darn thing! I have been so freaked out making sure our coop has enough ventilation and these appear to have barely any.

10. Steergirl

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston Area
    Quote:If you would have read you would have found out that along the back it has grilled ventilation. I emailed the seller and they said it measures 36" by 24" plus there is a hole in the front and the only time the door will be closed is at night. I would never think of buying a coop without ventilation, I know how to raise chickens [​IMG] I just wanted second opinions on maybe purchasing this.

ETA: Why would you keep your chickens cooped up inside during the day?If it gets in the 90's where you live leave the door open to the coop and they can go out if they get too hot.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by