MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Apr 20, 2016.

1. NaJoBeLe

NaJoBeLe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Down past the Holler

A few questions to consider
    1.) Is she a first time Broody?
    2.) Was/is she currently sitting on eggs or does she have any chicks.

Also depending on the feedback you get here might be a good idea to post or do some reading on the broody thread.
  2. Bantambird

Bantambird Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2013
    The chicks should be only a day or 2 old. Slip them under her at night, while she is sleeping, and watch her the next day. When you are slipping those babies under her, she may strike out at you for bothering her, keep the babies shielded until you get them under her. Remove the eggs/fake eggs at the same time (we use golf balls). Let them bond before attempting to move them again.
  3. harrellkd

harrellkd Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, first time broody. She was sitting on eggs that were due to hatch Sunday and didn't. She is still sitting on them.......
    Thanks for the link!
  4. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Flock Master

Jan 18, 2008
    (Okay as I was typing this my dad called so I paused then I noticrd she FINALLY came out, after another hen went in and out, but just hear me out LOL)

Alright, either I have a record young broody or my hens are trying to confuse me. LOL or something's wrong but I hope not.

Got home to let the chickens out around 9:30 or 10 (I know, I know, way too late but I slept over my brother's house last night since my parents are gone this week and no one could get home to let them out earlier) and an Orpington was in the box. Finally went back out around 2:30 or 3 thinking all the eggs would be laid. An Orpington was in the box. Same box. I tried to reach under her or was going to but decided not to after she shifted a tad and gave me a dirty look lol I then realized, after I'd been inside a while, that I hadn't seen anyone go in or out all day either except an Australorp. Well, while I was on the phone and about 20 minutes later an Orpington (a different one) finally went in, standing in the doorway a while, then fully in the coop, then right back out. Shortly after, the suspect came out LOL

Now, I know hens can take a while to lay but the most I've seen one in there (not that I really pay much attention) is like at most an hour or half an hour whatever, not 4 hours lol now, maybe she did come out and I wasn't paying attention, that's possible since I wasn't staring at them for 4 hours straight and only now noticed she was still in there but I don'think so.

So glad I don't have to bust her cause we don't have a wire cage lol

Although maybe she was at least THINKING of going broody??????

I hope not. OMG.

They hatched October 26th so they're only like 6 months old haha I feel like that would be a record?
  5. I guess you didn't read it :/
  6. harrellkd

harrellkd Chillin' With My Peeps

They are two days old today. I'm just worried about putting them under her and then having to go to work the next day.... She is in a great set up, I wouldn't have to move her or the babies. She's in my grow out chicken tractor. I keep going back and forth because I don't want to potentially sacrifice chicks who are perfectly healthy, but I also want her to have babies.
  7. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    I read the post that you provided a link to.
  8. Bantambird

Bantambird Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2013
    you could always just give her a few. You won't know until you try! Was she a good broody? What sort of personality does she have?
  9. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    My Coop
    A good friend thought it would be funny to tag me (on facebook) in this meme. But, I can't deny the truth. LOL!! :gig

And a turkey or two. LOL! :gig
    1 person likes this.
  10. Chicken girl 15

Chicken girl 15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    I'm not allowed to go to the feed store when it's chick season. I've proven non trustworthy around fowl of any breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by