MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Jessimom

Jessimom Cats Rule Dogs Drool

Aug 21, 2009
    Southern California
    LOL, it has gotten easier the more I hatch, but it's still frustrating!! Especially because I know I will get NO sleep tonight. There are 43 eggs in there, they should pop all night long!!!

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

3. TJordan

TJordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Lower Alabama
    LOCKDOWN!!!! I have 7 standard EE eggs and 29 bantam eggs make it!!! The duck eggs look strong with 7 left for next week and 6 out of the other eggs for next week.

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire and Team Tube Feeding XO

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Did some candling last night on my EE/OE NN eggs and had to pull five. There are two other questionable ones but their shells are olive so it's hard to see what's going on in there. Still, nine out of fourteen shipped eggs wouldn't be bad at all!

All ten khaki eggs are trucking along. They're looking like they might be due before I think they are :oops: This is why we need to mark down hatch dates on calendars, lol!

As for the WH eggs, one quit, but I still have 16 out of 17 coming along and they all look great.

I have at least twelve isabel leghorn eggs arriving tomorrow. My new incubator doesn't arrive until Monday according to the tracking :th

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

6. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    I went back in to see the OE egg zipping!
    [​IMG]

and she/he's out!
    [​IMG]

looks really dark, maybe black and has black legs!

7. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I learned from MPC that the eggs they come to us in aren't necessarily the color they will lay....the egg shell color is determined by the mom's shell painting gland, but the tendency for the chick to lay green eggs is inherited. So it depends on what hen was used to make up the mix, so to speak. Because Green Magnolias are a mix, if the hen always lays green eggs then our hatching eggs will be that color. When I got mine from the same contest, I had 5 Green Magnolia eggs in the mix - 3 were green and 2 were brown. Hope that helps.

8. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    so helpful, thank you! do you have any photos of your green magnolia hens? I would love to see what they grow into!

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I don't. Sadly none of mine hatched. I was holding out waiting for yours! [​IMG]

10. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by