May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
“I’ve got lots of colorful fertile eggs available! I have 2 Ameraucana roosters over black copper marans, Ameraucana, Olive egger, and Easter egger hens!”
This is the quote from the ad I got my eggs from that goes with the picture above my eggs are pink, blue, green, tan, brown, and deep chocolate brown

Hatched yesterday, mostly Phoenix bantam;
Babaies4_29_20.jpg

“I’ve got lots of colorful fertile eggs available! I have 2 Ameraucana roosters over black copper marans, Ameraucana, Olive egger, and Easter egger hens!”
This is the quote from the ad I got my eggs from that goes with the picture above my eggs are pink, blue, green, tan, brown, and deep chocolate brown

Marans have varying degrees of dark brown, not usually as light as the tan ones but if they were being honest about the breeds then it's possible the hen is just older and laying lighter eggs.

Should I be weighing first? This didn’t cross my mind I have a mail scale I could do this quick this morning I set last night
The reason you weigh the eggs is to monitor weight lose. The egg should lose between 14-18 percent over the 18 days before lockdown. This is an easy way to track that you humidity is right.

It is not required, but it is geeky so I like it.

4F6050ED-B0C8-44D9-BCF7-E292F8EB1353.jpeg
Ok so I have 3 incubators going! (Eek) I have collected varieties from my neighbors, not just my eggs this time. One of the incubators is turkeys! It’s getting exciting here, and this may be my last hatch, depending on how many females I get. I’m incubating 72 eggs of many varieties.
Leghorn
Barred rock
Marans
Legbars
Ameraucana
EE
OE
Phoenix.
Just a back yard flock variety. I’m more interested in dual purpose and egg color!

IMG_20200430_074558.jpg

First one out! Black with a yellow belly and wing tips. Not quite fluffed all the way so off into the brooder we go, after a quick poop on the counter :lau

My wrong end pip made no progress over night, and there are two more external pips this morning (these ones in the correct place). :fl

Back
Top Bottom