May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

One week in with my Ameraucana eggs. Time is flying! I ordered 6 eggs and received 9. That worked out well because I tossed three obvious quitters this morning. The 6 remaining are growing and moving, so I'm confident they'll make it to hatch day. My electric company sent me a notice today that my area will experience a "brief" outage Saturday while they make some repairs from the tornado we experienced earlier this spring. So that's making me a bit nervous...

They were not pipped I saw one head under wing.but nothing with inernal pip
Was there any movement at all?

Lightly move the eggs in a circle motion in your fingers and check to see if there is movement. If there is no movement they may have all passed away due to various reasons.

Are the eggs from your flock?

You can always do eggtopsies, but you want to make a hole in the air cell first then check to see if the chick is moving inside the membrane. You should be able to see them breathing. If you see that then I would go ahead and do assists if it has been more than 24 hours after their hatch date. You also want to check to see if the veins have receded, if not then the chick is not ready to be assisted.

Can you post pics of your candling?

One week in with my Ameraucana eggs. Time is flying! I ordered 6 eggs and received 9. That worked out well because I tossed three obvious quitters this morning. The 6 remaining are growing and moving, so I'm confident they'll make it to hatch day. My electric company sent me a notice today that my area will experience a "brief" outage Saturday while they make some repairs from the tornado we experienced earlier this spring. So that's making me a bit nervous...
Get some hot water bottles and blankets ready, you have the advantage of knowing when the outage might occur. Good luck, fingers crossed :) !

Clutch of Kelso 100% hatch. Didn't think it was gonna go well this is her earlier in the week

View attachment 2127579

View attachment 2127580
Just so yall know that hen was like that at least 3or4 hours probably more like all day. Is what I'm saying is dont flip out when your incubators electricity goes out for a while or when you see your broody off the nest. That's the same hen that last year seemed like she was off the nest alot in the evenings and still had a great hatch. Moral of the story keep calm when you have glitches itll be ok

I guess I’ll join. Two broodies are sharing four eggs. They began on the first. I began six incubator eggs on the fourth though. I’m hoping that the incubator eggs hatch early for a smooth transition. Broodies are great incubators, but seriously the best heat source! I hate dealing with the brooders.

Two more babies out: cochin and CCL. The cochin looks like it might have a small hernia. Second CCL also looks like a pullet :celebrate.

Here are the first two. They have graduated to the brooder. Speckled sussex and CCL (pullet? It is overall dark and has chipmunk stripes and dark eyeliner).
20200507_195218.jpg

Back
Top Bottom