May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Aww I'm sorry! Nutridrench is a great vitamin supplement and I use it personally but I would get a multivitamin with riboflavin because foot and leg issues are often related to b2 deficiency. Poultry Cell by rooster booster is a good one or polyvisol without iron is a liquid infant vitamin that is also good.

Was this chick stuck in the egg for an extended period of time before hatch?
Oh, and yes, I do think the chick was stuck over night. It had started to zip when I went to bed and didn't make much progress by the time I woke up, so I helped it the rest of the way. I noticed curled toes immediately, which I had happen during my very first hatch with a marans chick that had also gotten stuck.

It’s looking like yet another early hatch for us! I have two calibrated thermometers that say the average temperature was 98.9 (coolest area) to 99.9 (hottest area), but we are still getting an early hatch! I vaccinated the eggs for Marek’s last night, end of Day 18/beginning of 19, and we are now beginning Day 20 and we have two external pips! Both are BCM eggs. No internal pips were seen on candling last night.

Funny story - I can’t count! These are our own eggs, and I had been saving eggs for 10 days, meant to select the 6 most recent BCM and 12 most recent OE, for a total of 18 eggs. Simple! All eggs were looking good at the day 7 candle. Two quit by the Day 14 candle and were removed. So I got out all of my vaccine supplies for 16 eggs, but was short for two eggs! Somehow I had set 7 BCM eggs and 13 OE... Yep, I can’t count!

It’s looking like yet another early hatch for us! I have two calibrated thermometers that say the average temperature was 98.9 (coolest area) to 99.9 (hottest area), but we are still getting an early hatch! I vaccinated the eggs for Marek’s last night, end of Day 18/beginning of 19, and we are now beginning Day 20 and we have two external pips! Both are BCM eggs. No internal pips were seen on candling last night.

Funny story - I can’t count! These are our own eggs, and I had been saving eggs for 10 days, meant to select the 6 most recent BCM and 12 most recent OE, for a total of 18 eggs. Simple! All eggs were looking good at the day 7 candle. Two quit by the Day 14 candle and were removed. So I got out all of my vaccine supplies for 16 eggs, but was short for two eggs! Somehow I had set 7 BCM eggs and 13 OE... Yep, I can’t count!
I believe that is a particularly insidious strain of chicken arithmeticitis... watch that incubator closely or your right hand will sneak eggs in there and your left hand won't even know what happened.

I have three electric incubators, and three natural incubators. Two of the electric ones have successfully hatched eggs. The third one is a tiny “piece of garbage” incubator I’ve never had fertile eggs in. I might have mentioned that earlier.
I took the six eggs out last night, and let the 5-year-old look in each for life. They are light eggs, so it was especially easy. I didn’t see life in one, but she pointed out the shape I missed. The last egg had veins clearly visible to both of us. If I looked over all of the eggs, I’d likely see more, but this was more her candling than me.
I can’t say this incubator (not recommended for beginners for sure) is going to be a favorite, but it has one thing going for it. The temperature and humidity and accurate, and I’m running it dry. :thumbsup

Well, Day 23 here & my hatch is officially over. Just candled the last 2 eggs in the Bator, no internal pips or signs of life so that’s it.
Ended up with 12 Swedish Flower Hens and 1 Buff Orpington. I was really impressed with the hatch rate of the SFHs; I set 14 eggs & got 12 chicks even though the eggs were shipped! Only 1 egg out of 12 hatched of the eggs I got from the other breeder.
I had to do an assisted hatch on 1 chick who got stuck zipping. She was very weak & I didn’t think she would make it but she is doing fine today! Here are a couple of pics, more to come later cause I will just be sitting watching the chicks all day I think. ❤️
E3C48B6C-A2DD-4E7E-BD7B-B5819A88AE50.jpeg

125968F6-1866-41D6-8A7E-AF42FD9716F0.jpeg

BF5C6CFC-BBAF-49A4-B433-B8C600F5143F.jpeg

Well, Day 23 here & my hatch is officially over. Just candled the last 2 eggs in the Bator, no internal pips or signs of life so that’s it.
Ended up with 12 Swedish Flower Hens and 1 Buff Orpington. I was really impressed with the hatch rate of the SFHs; I set 14 eggs & got 12 chicks even though the eggs were shipped! Only 1 egg out of 12 hatched of the eggs I got from the other breeder.
I had to do an assisted hatch on 1 chick who got stuck zipping. She was very weak & I didn’t think she would make it but she is doing fine today! Here are a couple of pics, more to come later cause I will just be sitting watching the chicks all day I think. ❤
View attachment 2129824
View attachment 2129825
View attachment 2129826
Adorable!!! Love the yellow and black chick!

Back
Top Bottom