May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

I need to candle all my eggs tonight. I was going to do it last night but I was too tired and ended up falling asleep.
There is a rash of this too tired or distracted going around. Today is day 10, so I candled. 6 clears, 1 quitter out of the 62 eggs set. 3 of the clears were from my barred rocks, I am going to have to have a talk with them about being prudes.

I have at least one that the air cell was wonky on that I’m concerned with especially since I haven’t seen a lot of movement on candling from most of them. My egg buddy has picked up heartbeats in most of them so I’m considering that a good sign we did that Friday maybe? Hell Im just as discombobulated as the rest of you maybe more. Today is lockdown. I couldn’t find a sponge to save my ass this morning and my normal incubator water bowl was too big to fit in this one with the eggs so we went with one of my formula bowls filled with decorative pebbles then filled with water to try and keep the humidity up. It usually works well with the wider metal bowl o have because of the surface area but we adapt best we can. I won’t ever try and put a full dozen in this incubator again that I can tell you. Idk what 16 chicken eggs this was measured with to hold but it surely wasn’t any of the ones I got. It’s gonna be a hot mess in there if we get a high hatch rate. I’m hoping we can at least get one from a blue egg and one from a dark dark brown one and maybe an olive and a pink. I’m seriously setting the bar low in hopes that I can be happily surprised since it is my first attempt to hatch chickens, my first use of this incubator and these are shipped eggs 🥱 I need a nap so bad can it please be 6 pm now I want out of work now thanks

One more and last hatch will be 100%

20200517_134401.jpg

There is a rash of this too tired or distracted going around. Today is day 10, so I candled. 6 clears, 1 quitter out of the 62 eggs set. 3 of the clears were from my barred rocks, I am going to have to have a talk with them about being prudes.
😂 I had a chicken that was prude for a whole year. I kept telling her she was going to be a McChicken. She’s still here though 😂 My chickens are spoiled their run just increased 3,000 sq ft. They’re eating all the wild strawberries 🍓 in the wood line.

My not even year old broody has kept all FOURTEEN of her babies alive for three weeks! Knock on wood.

I’ve got a pretty hawk savvy flock, but, I’m prepared to accept the risks with this many babies running around with just one mom. It sure is adorable though!

as soon as she kicks them off I’m giving away most of them, I’ve got another broody I need to give eggs to.

D292D8CE-C6CC-4F85-926A-81DAC41E8118.jpeg
C281AC2E-DFAC-4952-9D2F-F83130A9D38C.jpeg
B275C272-41DD-4D62-B0F1-7F8DB5B7999A.jpeg

The only Silver Appenzeller that we kept from the Easter HAL sporting his very cool side swept hairdo! He's kind of shy and was being hard to photograph...especially with the other chicks photo bombing the pictures! Lol! We were kind of attached to him as he hatched out of a cracked egg which is why we kept him - his name is Patchy and he will be 5 weeks old on Tuesday. I absolutely love him!
20200517_134216.jpg
Hoping to get some Gold Appenzellers (just hatched a couple days ago) that are just as fun! There is one Gold Appenzeller that has some bright fun chipmunk stripes that I am really liking! None of the others have stripes so bold.

The only Silver Appenzeller that we kept from the Easter HAL sporting his very cool side swept hairdo! He's kind of shy and was being hard to photograph...especially with the other chicks photo bombing the pictures! Lol! We were kind of attached to him as he hatched out of a cracked egg which is why we kept him - his name is Patchy and he will be 5 weeks old on Tuesday. I absolutely love him! View attachment 2145592Hoping to get some Gold Appenzellers (just hatched a couple days ago) that are just as fun! There is one Gold Appenzeller that has some bright fun chipmunk stripes that I am really liking! None of the others have stripes so bold.
I love appenzellers ! So cute!

Back
Top Bottom