May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

That graphic is exactly what the tiel baby I’m trying to save looks like for position.

on a note relevant to the group we had to revamp our brooder twice this week. The first we put in the hanging nipple feeder because the chicks were filling the drinker full of pine pellets faster than I could clean them I would get it all cleaned out put it back and 5 mins later it was full🤦🏼‍♀️ So now their food is raised up on a piece of 2x4 and their water is a hanging bucket with drinker nipples. Then yesterday we had to install a roof because they were jumping on top of the food and escaping out into my sons room😝 I can’t believe how fast they are growing. I’m pretty sure one of my favorite chicks is A cockerel It’s quite a bit bigger than the others. How soon can you tell looking at them? I’m going to need you all for this part for sure. Incubation and hatching I’ve done before but baby dinosaurs that double in size every time they sleep is new to me🤣

I don't know that it will help with a cockatiel. It's been an eternity since I've hatched anything other than fowl but this was one of the chicks faced away from the air cell that I assisted in my last hatch.

Assisted hatch - pipped away from air cell.jpg

My bobwhites are finally hatching! Well they have only started pipping but they should be completely hatched by tomorrow. Also my incubator is running out of water and I can’t open it because of lockdown. Do you think I could open it to put a little water in?

You can open it to put some water in, or I like to use a straw through the vent hole to add water in incubators that run kind of dry. I use a condiment container and a straw but a syringe or even a turkey baster will also work.

Condiment Water Bottle for Incubator.JPG

I had a chick one time it hatched popped the cap, and I wanted to watch it spill out, but then it made a peep and ducked his head back in to the rest of the shell, he was either cold, or was afraid he wrecked his house.
I had one hatch them crawl back in it’s shell. It was in the beginning of this virus. I laughed so hard. He didn’t want to be in this crazy world.

I don't know that it will help with a cockatiel. It's been an eternity since I've hatched anything other than fowl but this was one of the chicks faced away from the air cell that I assisted in my last hatch.

View attachment 2171833
Thank you for these pictures as this is what I’m working with. I knew someone had said they had dealt with it before. When it comes to the basics of incubation and hatching tiels and chickens aren’t much different there is no lockdown phase so I figured one of you experienced Hatchers had seen something relevant. What did you put on the membrane? I’ve been dripping in sterile saline but it dries between visits

Thank you for these pictures as this is what I’m working with. I knew someone had said they had dealt with it before. When it comes to the basics of incubation and hatching tiels and chickens aren’t much different there is no lockdown phase so I figured one of you experienced Hatchers had seen something relevant. What did you put on the membrane? I’ve been dripping in sterile saline but it dries between visits

I use antibiotic ointment without pain relief. It lasts longer than anything else I've used. I've also used coconut oil but if not reapplied often enough it causes the membrane to get stiff so I've switched over entirely to the ointment.

Put antibiotic ointment no pain relief or coconut oil. They last longer than water would. Just make sure it’s not going where it pips so it doesn’t get in its nostrils.

I use antibiotic ointment without pain relief. It lasts longer than anything else I've used. I've also used coconut oil but if not reapplied often enough it causes the membrane to get stiff so I've switched over entirely to the ointment.
Same here. I actually used coconut oil once when the twins were hatching and never used it again because it dried out and created more of an issue.

You told me to use the antibiotic ointment several hatches ago and I have used that ever since.

Back
Top Bottom