May Hatch Thread--Fill up those bators n' broodies!

Well, Here are my chicks :) I am calling the one I had to assist "Scrappy", because he sure is! He is definitely the lightest, and has a defined yellow spot on the back of his head, so he is definitely a boy. He is also from a different breeder, which makes comparisons harder. The girls are supposed to have dark chipmunk stripes and no yellow on their head, but my other two chicks are darker than most boys are. They don't have defined stripes, and they do have yellow on their heads, but not in a defined spot, so I am totally confused. Still suspecting at least the lighter of the two is still a boy, and Oes thinks they are both girls, so I think I will just have to wait and see. In the meantime, a local person saw my post and offered me some local hatching eggs, so I am going to make another go of it! I thought my hatching days were over for this year.... chicken math strikes again
big_smile.png
. Hee Hee

Well, Here are my chicks :) I am calling the one I had to assist "Scrappy", because he sure is! He is definitely the lightest, and has a defined yellow spot on the back of his head, so he is definitely a boy. He is also from a different breeder, which makes comparisons harder. The girls are supposed to have dark chipmunk stripes and no yellow on their head, but my other two chicks are darker than most boys are. They don't have defined stripes, and they do have yellow on their heads, but not in a defined spot, so I am totally confused. Still suspecting at least the lighter of the two is still a boy, and Oes thinks they are both girls, so I think I will just have to wait and see. In the meantime, a local person saw my post and offered me some local hatching eggs, so I am going to make another go of it! I thought my hatching days were over for this year.... chicken math strikes again:D . Hee Hee
. They are very nice peeps I'm soooo happy oes was there to help out that's why we start these darn threads , I don't know much about legbars heck I had no idea they were color sexable at hatch but they are cute and scrappy is a lucky guy !! Enjoy and can't wait to see ya in the June thread,,,,, happy hatching

. They are very nice peeps I'm soooo happy oes was there to help out that's why we start these darn threads , I don't know much about legbars heck I had no idea they were color sexable at hatch but they are cute and scrappy is a lucky guy !! Enjoy and can't wait to see ya in the June thread,,,,, happy hatching
Here is a boy
Chick (blue) hand reared and helped from the egg on day 27.

Grown up (blue) Sadly died this winter.

Here is a link to help - they are sex link birds. Toffees are girls yellows are boys.

http://www.creamlegbar.co.uk/
There is a whole thread for Legbars on byc.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/400609/legbars

not sure if that is helpful but may put you in contact with others who have the breed?

Oes

Last edited:
tnx,s oes I'll read up on them I always thought they were a true breed I had no idea they were a cross that bread back true thats interesting

They ARE a true breed (although rare so there are quite a few out-bred to other breeds), with a well-established breed standard, and are considered to be auto-sexing, which breeds true/repeatable over the generations vs the sex-linked birds which as you apparently know only differ in the first generation. They are pretty cool, and the blue eggs are a bonus for my egg basket!

Back
Top Bottom