May Hatch Thread--Fill up those bators n' broodies!

Well it is 31st May and I am about to hit the pit! Soooo tired what with all the hatching and all that! It is wonderfull having the babies to look after. They are eating tons of food. They cleared their food dish three times over today and ate natural yogurt for a treat too! This is so different fromt he two chicks we hatched a week late last time. Both needed drip feed water and both would not take chick feed at all in fact didn;t eat for days and we had to litterally force feed. In the end gave them the inside of custard tarts! lol - it was the only thing they would eat. Not good for chicks but at that stage it was that or die. We eventually gave them rice pudding as well but it was way too sweet and salty so we got baby rice instead and then got them onto yogurt and egg. - eventually they ate chick feed but were days old before that. It was hard work giving them water and hand feeding every hour. - This time its sooo easy the only thing worrying me is the amount they are eating! Little tubby balls of fluff! They are great.

It is nice to come on and share with you all and lovely to have been able to share this experience of chick hatching and raising. Good luck with your chicks. I guess now the MAy thread is over - June tomorrow and I am not hatching again this year.

Oes - thanks for all the support and friendship!

Last edited:
Well it is 31st May and I am about to hit the pit! Soooo tired what with all the hatching and all that! It is wonderfull having the babies to look after. They are eating tons of food. They cleared their food dish three times over today and ate natural yogurt for a treat too! This is so different fromt he two chicks we hatched a week late last time. Both needed drip feed water and both would not take chick feed at all in fact didn;t eat for days and we had to litterally force feed. In the end gave them the inside of custard tarts! lol - it was the only thing they would eat. Not good for chicks but at that stage it was that or die. We eventually gave them rice pudding as well but it was way too sweet and salty so we got baby rice instead and then got them onto yogurt and egg. - eventually they ate chick feed but were days old before that. It was hard work giving them water and hand feeding every hour. - This time its sooo easy the only thing worrying me is the amount they are eating! Little tubby balls of fluff! They are great.

It is nice to come on a share with you all and lovely to have been able to share this experience of chick hatching and raising. Good luck with your chicks. I guess now the MAy thread is over - June tomorrow and I am not hatching again this year.

Oes - thanks for all the support and friendship!
. You got it oes it was wonderful to hatch with you and hope to do it again next year good luck with eggberta and the DH and shoot me a pm from time to time with updates on the baby's all the best from central America

Hey all!!phew that was a long read to catch up! Ink. Those chicks are cute!!! So different! Congrats to everyone! Seems there was a lot of hatching this week!!! I had all 18 that made it to lock down hatch!!! I started with 29, 14 were shipped eggs only 6 hatch... 2 of those died maybe the day before lock down, any ideas why? I can see early on.. and while hatching, but they were fully formed and looked good...

Anyway, My dad wants me to buy more and hatch for him...maybe next spring, and he can have some of my eggs, no shipping then!! Had a great time with all!!

Hey all!!phew that was a long read to catch up! Ink. Those chicks are cute!!! So different! Congrats to everyone! Seems there was a lot of hatching this week!!! I had all 18 that made it to lock down hatch!!! I started with 29, 14 were shipped eggs only 6 hatch... 2 of those died maybe the day before lock down, any ideas why? I can see early on.. and while hatching, but they were fully formed and looked good...

Anyway, My dad wants me to buy more and hatch for him...maybe next spring, and he can have some of my eggs, no shipping then!! Had a great time with all!!
. Wo wo wo moll you are not gonna join us in June ? How come ? Lol any way it was nice hatching with you especially on your first hatch you enjoy getting them grown out and have fun with them send a pm from time to time with pics and a few stories and remember you promised me some Wyandotte eggs and I'll hold ya to it lol have fun moll it was all fun and my plesure to help take care

One duckling hatched. The others still haven't started zipping.
wee.gif

When will the June Hatch Thread be up. I want to follow. Though I set my eggs in May they are not due to hatch until around June 9. I have 10 SFH and 12 Blue Splash Ameraucana. Hoping to have more fluff balls in around 9 days. Than we have the big shuffle moving some out of the brooder and into the baby coop and more babies into the brooder...we hope.
fl.gif

No they both had to be helped, one at 4am and the other at 7am. I am exhausted. Afraid for the others, never heard any peeping from them. But I have 2 very unusual looking chicks.

They look wet but they are dry, just a little crunchy from membrane. I washed them off best I could. Both these chicks had feet behind their heads! This is what crazy air cells will get you! Had I not helped, there is no way they could have hatched. Love the bump on their heads, typical silkie. One is yellow and black the other is kinda silver and black. I have no idea what color they will be.
how did you know when and how to help

Congrats on all the May chicks everyone!
thumbsup.gif
I think my final May hatch is gonna spill over into June - matter of fact - I'm certain. Had 13 - hatch day yesterday - they started last night - have three completely out, one still in the bottom half of shell, nine more to go. Looked good last time I candled - sure do wish they would hurry!!

Back
Top Bottom