May trade for a new horse thoughts please?

I think he looks nice in the picture, well fed anyway. As far as breed, he sure looks Qhorsey, not his head though, maybe appendix...Qhorse X thoroughbred.
The owner/seller seems to be telling you the good points as well as the bad points of the horse, that is a good thing. I would ask that they leave the horse in the pasture/corral/paddock until you get there, so you can catch him or see how they catch him. In the picture he doesn't have a halter on, another good thing. None of my horses have halters, because they don't need them. If I want to catch them it is very easy, shouldn't even be called "catching". If you get there and he has a halter on then maybe you could ask them to take it off and let you catch him and put it back on him. I would take your saddle and headstall. When you get there take them out of your truck with you when you go to see the horse. The seller will "speak" to you as if you are a horse person, not just some "wish I had a Horse" person. Catch him, tack him up, and ride him. Tell the owner you want to stretch him out then push him a little. If they have left anything out of their previous descriptions they Should come clean Then.
Like others have said, after you ride him, pick up his feet, put your hands on his whole body, then untack him and release him...I like to pay attention to what a horse does After you turn him loose...I like mine to run to a dry, dusty spot, roll a few times, then run back to me....but that is just Me...I read you were going to trade a cow for this horse....I don't think you can expect too much from a horse at that price...JMO

If he is genuinely only around 14 hh or so, I would say QHxArab or something like that. He has awfully lightboned legs and small feet (especially if he *is* that short), and if you are not a lightweight rider or are wanting something to do faster or longer rides on, I would be concerned. At the very least, even if you are lightweight and want only casual light riding, I'd really suggest paying the vet to give you an intelligent opinion on his legs and feet.

One question I feel it is important/useful to ask, or to answer yourself in person if the seller allows, is "how does the horse react when he sees something scary? And how does he react to a sudden startle?" There is no one universal "right" answer, it depends on what YOU are like, but in many cases (especially for people with less horse experience) there are *wrong* answers. Like, you probably want to KNOW whether the horse's response to startlement is to just freeze in place, or to give a huge switch-buck and then leave the area at a gallop
tongue.png
You'll either need to take the seller's word for it, or arrange with her some sort of test that will fairly display the horse's behavior without overly wigging it out.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Another thing to do when you go to look at him.
Old style horse buying, have them walk and trot the horse IN HAND on a flat non gravelly surface so you can see if he hits himself while walking and trotting, if he is limping, over reaching.
Cow hocked... if he hits himself when walking and trotting you may need boots or leg protectors for him.
IS he alone? it seems that way in the pic. How is he around other horses?? You don't need a horse that will beat up your current horse(s).

Carol

I live in Washignton State as well and know experienced horse people at my old co-op barn that go out with new folks to look at horses.

If you go alone (I did) be sure to make the sale contingent on a vet check (I did).

Good luck. He sure is pretty.

Here's what I have to say- VET CHECK!!!! VET CHECK!!!! VET CHECK!!!!!

The money you spend on a vet check can save you THOUSANDS!!!! Even a free horse can quickly become expensive. And if you get stuck with a horse with navicular problems, etc, you will have a hard time rehoming him, even if you try to give him away. ALWAYS VET CHECK. Even if you are not BUYING the horse, it is still an investment of money and lots of time... as well as emotions.

The horse is very overweight so his feet and legs are going to look even more 'light' than they really are. Light bone MIGHT not matter for light riding of a family horse, which is what most people want to do. If you wanted to horse show, take long trail rides frequently...I'd be saying let the buyer beware, but I also recognize when a horse is that overweight any leg looks light, LOL.

Of course the other thing is 'who are you'. Someone looking for a pal and companion for the next ten to twenty years and wants to ride and would be very unhappy if it didn't work out, or someone who feels 'if it don't work out, there's always the kill auctions'. People vary a lot on how emotional they feel about the horse, and how attached they get, as well as how honest they are when they sell a horse that didn't work out for themselves.

I'm always a little leery of horses that aren't being ridden RIGHT NOW. As a wise old timer told me many years ago, 'If he ain't bein' rode, there's somethin' the matter with 'im'. There are exceptions, but not quite as many as people claim.

And often, when a horse is not being used, the person has had some life change that interferes with riding (little baby, etc) but here's the key: if the horse was so useful to ride, a friend of theirs would be working the horse or the horse would be leased.

Course a lot of people don't ride much in winter, but generally, 'if a horse is useful, he's gettin' used'. Nother old timer quote, lol.

I think especially for the non professional or the less experienced person (especially those determined to go without a vet check), it's often not worth the risk.

The risk is, you get the horse into regular work and he goes lame. But for a brief try-out ride he looks fine. It's usually more frequent riding that makes lameness show, and sometimes it takes a week or two in the new home for it to act up and get heated up again. And if you only ride occasionally, it could be quite some time before it 'heats up', especiallly if there's enough time between rides for it to cool down again.

If I was taking the job of 'experienced friend' and advising you, believe it or not as it's a pretty horse and as they say the price is right, I'd probably say move on. Not because it might work out, but because it might not, and there are an awful lot of cheap horses out there right now.

I'd suggest for the less experienced rider, the best choice a horse that is 'doin' what you want, right now' and also that 'right now, you can get him to do what you want', also what the old timer said.

The old timer advice isn't meant to say 'this horse is bad', it's meant to play the percentages, and stick to what's likely to work. It's not that taking risks never work out, it's that they're less likely to.

Last edited:
Update: I was too look at this horse yesterday. The owner would not call me back or return my calls thurs. So when I got up friday. I sent another message letting her know I wanted to come visit and look at the horse today around noon. She informed me the guy that came thurs afternoon loved both her horses (so there was an older mare 23 there too and she looked great but I did not want that old of a horse)and she was doing a home visit friday evening. So I put off going and she was to let me know the status that evening but of course did not. I sent her a message just this morning asking if he was still available and the answer was no. I guess it was not meant to be. I think it was for the better. When I found this horse I responded to her ad. So I knew thurs that the horse would be gone if I did not go before that guy. So I put my own trade ad on craigslist and have had a couple offers. I will show you those pics.

The owner did have baby recently and they don't use the horses anymore and want something to eat their pasture. She said she would ride first and also she rode him not that long ago first time since last year and no problems.

Oh yeah by the way my trainer was going right by there at the same time and would have went with me but I think he may still at other horses but I will have to pay him a bit more now probably and that is ok.

I am looking for a horse to relearn to ride on, gain more confidence, and also be a pasture buddy for my 2 year old arab filly.

K so the new horses:

My and my husband really like the looks of this horse. I believe she said she was about 15 years old. Owner says they are well trained. Had the price at $2500 and just lowered it to $1500 so she was wanting to trade for 2 cows that are a year old one holstein and one jersey.

Jazzy.jpg

This is a gelding 16.5 hands and like 16 years old I believe she said. I told her what I wanted and looking for in a horse.

The gelding seems to have high weathers and maybe sway back starting in? She just told me he has been ridden all over bare back.

gelding.jpg

gelding1-1.jpg

These two horses are at the same place they have 28 horses there. Do you think they can both handle the weight of like 275 I worry the mare would not like it too much on longer rides some day.

Next horse is an older horse mid twenties. I don't think I want to get a horse that old.

She says this horse is a very hard keeper in the winter needs senior feed and blanket and looks deadly. Very pretty horse she said in the summer. This mare has been in parades. Her health and over all condition. Being able to handle some weight worry me. Her teeth were floated this spring.

mare.jpg

mare1.jpg

mare2.jpg

mare3.jpg

This is her winter pic....and the owner says yes that is the same horse.

mare4.jpg

Every picture of her looks like a different horse to me almost.....kinda scary to me.

I'm liking the Appy gelding. The palomino mare does not have great conformation, has a weak neck and her being that old and a hard keeper just screams money pit.

The other gelding looks like the beginnings of a sway back and me being able to see his ribs in the summer makes me think hard keeper also.

The palomino mare is the same mare in each picture, her star is somewhat distinct and the horse in the other photos has the same distinct star on her head. Same with the sock placement and the same poor neck.

I would seriously consider the Appy gelding in the first photo. But, he looks like the best cared for and the best photographed horse...

The appy is a mare. I agree and we like the looks of that one best. Do you think it will get along with my mare 2 year old arab filly and handle the weight of me about 265.

Back
Top Bottom