mcmurry sick chicks please post here

Status
Not open for further replies.
On march 1st, I DROVE to MM hatchery in Iowa from Madison Wisconsin. I picked up my order of more than 25 chicks. I had them home ( via HEATED mini van) and in the brooder within 5 hours. As I was taking then out of the box, I noticed one of the EE's had a birth defect?, her leg is twisted at the right knee and she cant move it.

Yet, everone else looked very good.

Then by the end of the first week one of my Partige rocks is laying on her side, with her legs strait out. She also, keeps laying down as all the other chicks walk on her. She, makes no attempt to get food or water. I had to put her in a different brooder box. She wont stand unless I stand her up, then when she walks, she starts to fall to the side, so she uses her wing, to catch herself.

Will my other chicks catch it?
idunno.gif

I know people are having problems and I'm so sorry for what you are going through.

For us, except for the 4 chicks I lost in the first 48 hours
ALL our chicks from McMurray are doing great
they are now over 2 weeks old.
I don't know what is wrong with others but there is nothing wrong with ours.
My chiks were hatched the 23rd of Feb
Black Sex links, EE, Partridge rocks, Australops, BLRW Speckeled sussex
I have to be honest they are happy and active growing run around playing then crash just like puppies <G> sleeping in all ways and shapes.

CS

I'm glad I found you all, and am thankful for the positive reports. This is my first time raising chicks also, and they arrive the week of 03/31. I am cautiously optimistic.

I got my order from MM on the 25 of Feb. Went in on an order that a friend put in. She went to pick them up in Orville. 2 hr drive for her and I met her at her house 1.5 hrs for me. Looked great only 1 maran dead and 1 weak houdan. Gave them vitamins in the water. Hand watered each one and showed them where the food was. Houdan died next day. (knew it would) I had ordered 7 houdans. In first 48 hrs. all were dead. They too did the lay down drunk thing just thought they were possibly more delicate or stress/chilling with the shipping. (friend contacted MM and gave the loss report for hers and mine and they are sending replacements Mar. 25) But now I am starting to lose more of them same way it seems. Have lost 1 buff rock yesterday of 2. Have 2 marans that are sick of the 5 left. 1 rhode island red sick of 3. Looks like 2 of the 6 blue laced red are starting to go down too. All were really doing good. I had expected to lose some due to stress and chilling but I would have thought that would be right away like the first 2. Everyone else that has died has started that laying down and drunken walking. Seemed perfectly fine before. Has anyone got any suggestions? Should I just destroy them? They eat and drink if I make them. But the marans which are now the worst have definetely lost weight. I have them in the house and they are not crowded or too hot. They seem to be perfectly fine and then just start going down. Very frusterating!!!! Hate to see them suffering. Also wondering if I have brought something home? Any ideas?

Last edited:
jumpy.gif
love.gif
D.gif
Day two: everyone seems to be doing fine. Put the smaller chicks in with the white giants because they were the smaller of the two breeds that we ordered the jumbo cornish rocks have tripled in size since we recieved them and I was afraid that the replacements would get crushed. Again everyone is doing well and I will ordered from McMurray again.

There are so many sad stories - so much suffering - reported here that I don't know how anyone can unequivocally say they will without question order again just because their order is doing okay at the moment. I applaud those who are gathering information here so that someone can speak on behalf of the beautiful little chicklets that never got a chance at life.
JJ

Ordered 25 Buff Orps and 25 Light Brahmas. McMurray shipped my order and two extra chicks to me 48 hours early. No e-mail sent to me advising me of early delivery. They sat in Post Office an additional 24 hours due to this. 1 buff Orp died within first 24 hours most likely from travel related stress. On 8th day, second Buff Orp died. She was the runt of the litter, but fought valiently to survive attempting to eat and drink up to the bitter end. I'll always remember her. Another Buff Orp is on her way out. She is second runt of the litter. I believe deaths number 2 and soon to be three are due to genetic weakness. Light Brahmas appear much heartier. So far no signs of illness.

In 2006 I received 25 chicks from McMurray Hatchery. 1 Dominique cockerel & 1 Barred Rock pullet had extreme scoliosis. I lost another 7 Rocks & Dominiques due to unknown sickness. They were all vaccinated for Mareks & were started on medicated chick starter. I suspected two of them died due to deformed crops. I won't be ordering hatchery chicks from McMurray or any other hatcheries any time in the future. Now I know joining a poultry club & attending a poultry show allowed me to meet established breeders who have birds available to start an excellent line of your own chicken breeds.

Last edited:
I wonder if it could be something toxic like the shipping boxes containing some type of glue or other lethal crap from China. Sort of like the poisoned toys, dogfood, toothpaste, etc. etc.

Cardboard is made from lots of glue, ya know.

Cheers,
Michelle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom