mcmurry sick chicks please post here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received an order of 27 chicks on Feb 25th, in Alaska. The temperature ranges that day were 1°F to 26°F. I picked them up at 9am, and it was 8 °F at the time. 2 were weak, but not dead, when I picked them up, and two more were a tad sluggish. I lost the 4 within the first 24 hours - 1 anconas, 1 white orpington, 1 red leghorn, and the "free" chick. I didn't realize that they had put an extra in our box until later when they were fat and happy from eating and had slowed down enough to count them. All of the cornish x rocks survived, and the 6 remaining "fancy" chicks are doing quite well. Considering the temps, and the very long flight, I'm surprised I didn't lose more. Not a one over the last 2+ weeks has shown any signs of this paralysis everyone is speaking of.
It is so important to get them warm (95°F), dip each beak in sugar/vitamin water, and get them food as soon as they arrive. The Quik Chick (or other vitamins) in their water, or made into a mash with the food is critical to their survival, as well as grit.
I will say that I was extremely pleased with MMHs customer service. They credited me for the 4 chicks, even though two of them happened to be the free extra chicks, and I have another order of Dorkings coming from them in May.

When I talked to the people on the phone, the woman sounded...machine-like. Like she was reading it off a paper or something. Her end of the conversation was "That's impossible because our chicks are in absolute perfect condition when they leave our hatchery. It's something you have done wrong." I don't know...GOOD NEWS is, ours have stopped getting sick and I only have a few that are still sick.
fl.gif

My wife just called, looks like out final 2 polish are on their way out. These were from the replacement MMH sent and would ne about 9 days old now. We haven't lost any in quite awhile, so seeing these affected the same way this much later is saddening. These were shipped in much warmer (although not summer or spring-like) weather.

I do believe they may have a problem with their early hatches, I take care of my orders every year the same way every time, I couldn,t provide a better chance for them than what I have been. I just thought it curious that all different breeds seem to suffer the same problems, that is why I thought about the vaccinations and if it could have caused some type of reaction.

I didnt order any chicks from them. But I do believe they are selling some very sick chicks this year. I would definatly stay away from them. I went to the feed store here a few weeks ago to pick up some feed and noiced they had just gotten there chicks in the day before. I went to look at them and there were all kinds of dead, and sick looking chicks. My nieghbor bought 14 from the feed store and 3 days later she was down to 7.
Here about 4 days ago I had to go in again and saw the manager who I know bagging up some more dead ones. I stopped and asked him where they were buying the chicks and he told me it was McMurrays. And he was Soooo mad because just about every ship of chicks they got a bunch died, either at the store or after people bought them and take them home and end up with dead chicks. He also showed mr a chick that was really gross. It was a banty, what breed I really dont know because they ordered the Banty Mix so they got some of all the breeds. But this chick was deformed it had one eye and a major over bite. There was no way it was going to live. I hatched one of these last summer, and I am thinking I accidentally imbred to get it. But that was really shocking that they sent it there. And it shows that their are falling short of their garrantee of ship you the healthiest and best chicks. I should have posted this after I had seen it, and I have no excuse for not. I guess I didnt want to believe that they were doing this to everyone. If you are going to get your chicks from a hatchery this year I would not go the McMurray. And if you are getting your chicks from a feed store I would make sure that they are not going through McMurray either. I dont know what disease is going around in their hatchery but you do not want to bring it home to your other animals. And you would be lucky to get them all raised.

Thanks for the reply that is most reassuring to know.

Brett.

Quote:
That is terrible. My ssh I got from them has a bad eye that is just starting to heal. When I first got her, I didn't think she had an eye until I peeled the crust off.

I lost another golden polish chick from McMurray over the weekend and today my favorite, the white crested black polish chick looks to be on the way out. She is constantly laying down, it's like her legs are not strong. This has been so depressing, I feel like I am on a death watch. I will never order from McMurray again.

well i have been reading this thred and i have worrie dabout how my chicks from mcmurray would turn out this morning at 6 we got a call that said our chicks were in....we went and got them i got in the truck and looked into the box..and..........they were all alive and all of them are still doing good this afternoon ...i am very happy:ya

Last edited:
It is also my understanding that they don't keep their own breeder stock, but contract out for the hatching eggs. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, then they have a serious problem with their suppliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom