mcmurry sick chicks please post here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again...I tried to figure out posting pics...I am barely computer literate, and can't quite figure out how to reduce pixels.

But....thx for asking to see my girls. They are so far very healthy and spunky. They know the sound of my voice and get excited when I come to talk to them. They play and run around the brooder playing with pieces of shavings (like tag) and are trying their wings.

I am still nervous after hearing these horror stories though. I want them happy and healthy!

Michele in MN

Quote:
No, its not too cold. I just got my other order all but one happy and healthy and they were WARM when I took them out of the box. These people's chicks are dying WEEKS after they get home. Chicks bodies do not suddenly remember they were cold a month ago and decide to get sick..
roll.png

Quote:
No, its not too cold. I just got my other order all but one happy and healthy and they were WARM when I took them out of the box. These people's chicks are dying WEEKS after they get home. Chicks bodies do not suddenly remember they were cold a month ago and decide to get sick..
roll.png

It would make sense to me that if chicks are dying weeks, even a month after arriving, then its likely they got sick from something at their new home. In my limited experience, day old chicks that get sick or chilled that young do not live long.

Quote:
roll.png

It would make sense to me that if chicks are dying weeks, even a month after arriving, then its likely they got sick from something at their new home. In my limited experience, day old chicks that get sick or chilled that young do not live long.

Everyone that is having trouble started having trouble about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks after they arrived. These have what looks like a vitamin deficiency that caused nervous system damage or something inhaled that caused nervous system damage. They have what I would call "failure to thrive" also.

I have raised hundreds, if not thousands of chicks, in this same weather, and from the same hatchery. This is a unique experience for me.

There are a bunch of posts in this thread where chicks are received dead or sick and die within the first couple days.

I called McMurray yesterday and I did not get any run around they offered first to have repalcement chicks to arrive Mon March 10. I was very impressed because I too read these horror stories and was afraid that I would be taken for my money. But that was the not case at all!!!!
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif

Quote:
I haven't lost one do to the cold got mine march 2nd ....All are happy , healthy, vigorous chicks

Last edited:
I have recieved a recent shipment from murry and am having a hard time of it. 4 birds dead on arrival.
2 partridge rock
1 maran
2 deleware

next several days casualties
3 deleware
3 partridge rock
2 maran

Now I am at about 14 days and have many birds foundering, laying over on their sides no balance or strength. Have been trying antibiotics and hand watering for they seem to be so weak they struggle to water themselves. I have never seen this before and have always had good luck in the past, could the vaccination at the hatchery been the cause?

I wanted to update about my chicks,
they are 2 weeks old now,
I did loose 4 in the first 6-48 hours they just never grew. I think faliure to thrive or stressed from shipping.
the remaining 24 are doing awesome.
I have
BLRW
Partridge rocks
a sex link
speckeled sussex
australop
EE
I sent pictures of them in another thread I think now moved to the 2nd page.
CS

I understand loosing a few, but with everything going so well and with a sigh of relief I was alarmed to find that they are falling again without warning, all conditions correct and monitored, I guess I will sit tight and hope for the best at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom