Mdicated feed?

oldchickenman

Songster
11 Years
Oct 2, 2008
Parsonsburg Md.
whats the deal with medicated started feed we have raised 3 batches of chicks with no problums. just wondering what the medicated feed does for the chciks? were new to this jsut been doing this for 2 years now and i got wondering.

Medicated feed helps prevent chicks from getting overwhelmed by coccidiosis and at the same time allows them to build an immunity to it.

So you think is a good thing,I am curios myself ,have been away from birds awhile myself and am sure is lots of new stuff to learn such as medicated starter or not.

Quote:
I think it's a very good thing. Coccidiosis can overwhelm a young chick's system and kill it very quickly.
Coccidiosis can lay dormant in the ground for years and re-emerge when animals (hosts) are introduced to that ground.
IMO, medicated feed is an easy insurance policy.

I personally use the medicated starter/grower. The medicated is sulfa based. It inhibits the growth of cocci so the cocci can't reproduce. Amprolium, is the medication in feed . Only a problem if you have allergies to sulfa or are super sensitive to sulfa drugs.

Back
Top Bottom