Mdicated feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by oldchickenman, Feb 11, 2009.

1. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    whats the deal with medicated started feed we have raised 3 batches of chicks with no problums. just wondering what the medicated feed does for the chciks? were new to this jsut been doing this for 2 years now and i got wondering.

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I was told it helps protect them from cocci's.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Medicated feed helps prevent chicks from getting overwhelmed by coccidiosis and at the same time allows them to build an immunity to it.

4. svaha storm

svaha storm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2009
    Tejas
    So you think is a good thing,I am curios myself ,have been away from birds awhile myself and am sure is lots of new stuff to learn such as medicated starter or not.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I think it's a very good thing. Coccidiosis can overwhelm a young chick's system and kill it very quickly.
    Coccidiosis can lay dormant in the ground for years and re-emerge when animals (hosts) are introduced to that ground.
    IMO, medicated feed is an easy insurance policy.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I personally use the medicated starter/grower. The medicated is sulfa based. It inhibits the growth of cocci so the cocci can't reproduce. Amprolium, is the medication in feed . Only a problem if you have allergies to sulfa or are super sensitive to sulfa drugs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by