Mealworm and Heads

Keeperoflock

Songster
Mar 10, 2018
Central Indiana
Hi Y'all,

I have been reading on here about mealworms. Some say the heads are bad for chicks' stomachs and then some don't say anything about them at all. What's everyone else's take on it?

Am I supposed to pick the heads off of these things before I give them to my babies?

Thanks in Advance

Good grief. Never heard that one. If I had to pick the stupid head off every meal worm I fed, I'd throw them all out and forget it. No. That's just not true.

The fact is live meal worms, heads included, are far easier for chicks to digest than dried meal worms. However, you need to be sure your chicks have access to proper chick grit if you are going to feed them, and only feed in moderation until immature digestive systems adjust.

I've fed live meal worms to chicks as young as just a few days with no problem after their gizzards have been kitted out with grit.

Last edited:
I can't see how heads would be an issue (and yes if I had to pick off the heads I wouldn't bother giving them any at all!) I did break up the dried mealworms into small pieces while the chicks were small (mostly to make myself feel better I guess - the chicks would eat whole ones), and they had grit as well.

Back
Top Bottom