Mealworms breeding for chickens: do mealworms transfer their diseases to the next generations?

Pharo

Hatching
May 20, 2023
I've bought some live mealworms from a local provider, I'm really worried about feeding them to my chicks as I'm not really 100% sure that these are healthy mealworms. Can I breed these mealworms for another generation and then feed them to the chicks?

I'm afraid that some infections/diseases/heavy metals or even fungs might be genetically transferable to the next generation.

oh wow whats wrong with them do they look sick? I had no idea that could even be a thing... I dont have mealworms but my brother in delaware does Ill shoot him a text (hes not a member here, hes a turtle guy, no poultry, lol) in the meantime perhaps someone here with knowledge will also reply.

oh wow whats wrong with them do they look sick? I had no idea that could even be a thing... I dont have mealworms but my brother in delaware does Ill shoot him a text (hes not a member here, hes a turtle guy, no poultry, lol) in the meantime perhaps someone here with knowledge will also reply.
Thanks, That would be really helpful!

After some research, it turns out that I can administer medication to the mealworms like antifungal/antibiotics but it would be great to hear from someone that has experience in this area.

I've bought some live mealworms from a local provider, I'm really worried about feeding them to my chicks as I'm not really 100% sure that these are healthy mealworms. Can I breed these mealworms for another generation and then feed them to the chicks?

I'm afraid that some infections/diseases/heavy metals or even fungs might be genetically transferable to the next generation.
why do you doubt their health? please post photos of them.

In any case, none of the risks you listed could be "genetically" transferable to the next generation.

After some research, it turns out that I can administer medication to the mealworms like antifungal/antibiotics
this strikes me as quite implausible - both the need for it and the treatment. Can you please share your source for this research?

this strikes me as quite implausible - both the need for it and the treatment. Can you please share your source for this research?

why I'm doubting their health?
because most of the beetles die out when they hatch out from their pupa form
some larvas are dieing out turning black in the process

I also stumbled upon this article describing why it's illegal to feed chicken mealworms in some countries
https://cluckin.net/why-is-it-illeg...l to feed,pesticides, heavy metals and toxins.

Attachments

• Tenebrio molitor diagnostics.pdf
    631.7 KB · Views: 3
why I'm doubting their health?
because most of the beetles die out when they hatch out from their pupa form
some larvas are dieing out turning black in the process

I also stumbled upon this article describing why it's illegal to feed chicken mealworms in some countries
https://cluckin.net/why-is-it-illegal-to-feed-mealworms-to-chickens.html#:~:text=It is illegal to feed,pesticides, heavy metals and toxins.
are you providing them with food and moisture?

The dried mealworms from China should not be conflated with your live mealworms; indeed, the reason for growing them yourself is that only then can you know what they have been fed on, and you can know that it does not include any of the alleged toxins Chinese ones may or may not have been exposed to. For what it's worth, some Western firms are experimenting with feeding them on plastics of various sorts; again, if you raise them, this will not affect you.

And infections, fungi and diseases are different things from heavy metals, and I don't think I have seen a shred of evidence about the possibility of transference of any of those biological threats via mealworms. Given the difference in biology between an insect like a mealworm and a bird like a chicken, it is intrinsically very unlikely, even if a mealworm was sick with something.

Mealworms in commercial flocks are a huge problem when they feed on birds that have died and get buried under the litter. Spreads all sorts of disease. So I would be sure and NOT feed any chicken parts or feathers or poo to the mealworms. Other species like road kill might be safe for both mealworms and maggots. Kind of like using ungulate poo on gardens safely but never pig poo, try to keep some separation between the waste products and scraps of the different species.

Insects (all of them) tend to be quite a dirty meat. All manners of parasites for example. Chickens are uniquely defended by the fact that they grind their food in the gizzard, and that kills most soft bodied things. I do not expect mealworms to be any worse than fly larvae from a cow pie, to be honest. If they are free ranging, as they have always done in the last ten millennia, it is not a precaution worth taking.

Back
Top Bottom