Mean Girls: Chicken Edition

I no longer see a rooster, I see two hens.
I'm now starting to lean more towards a hen as well. I got to thinking more about what my cockerels were like at only 16-18 weeks -- crowing, chasing hens, big combs, huge legs. It's harder to know without actually being there and watching the chickens in action, but if this is a rooster, he's pretty low key.

I'm now starting to lean more towards a hen as well. I got to thinking more about what my cockerels were like at only 16-18 weeks -- crowing, chasing hens, big combs, huge legs. It's harder to know without actually being there and watching the chickens in action, but if this is a rooster, he's pretty low key.
I feel so bad for this chicken. Can you imagine what it would be like if your mom posted a picture of you on the internet and people were debating your sex this much?

There is another rooster, if that's a boy he might not crow just because of that.

There isn't one sign of rooster on the hen. I raised buff and lavender orpingtons in the past and at that age She wouldn't have those rounded feathers right at the base of her tail and she would be much bigger and broader than the other lavender orpington. Not sure why you still think it's a rooster as i see no signs of a cockerel.
Though i guess the red comb might throw some people off but at that age they should have red combs by now.

I'm going on posture and body shape not so much on combs or even feathers . It would be much easier if behavior could be seen in photos but it can't. Roo or hen, this girl lucked out either way.
There isn't one sign of rooster on the hen. I raised buff and lavender orpingtons in the past and at that age She wouldn't have those rounded feathers right at the base of her tail and she would be much bigger and broader than the other lavender orpington. Not sure why you still think it's a rooster as i see no signs of a cockerel.
Though i guess the red comb might throw some people off but at that age they should have red combs by now.

Thank you so much for that. I’m just new and easily influenced. I’m so glad that we can all agree this is a hen. Now I don’t have to change her name. If you have any other advice for these beauty queens, I’d love to hear it!

Thank you so much for that. I’m just new and easily influenced. I’m so glad that we can all agree this is a hen. Now I don’t have to change her name. If you have any other advice for these beauty queens, I’d love to hear it!
Glad to help. And for one more dose of encouragement heres a pic of a six month old lav Orp roo ( too tired to spell :plbb )

All roosters at the age of six months will have those sharp pointed saddle feathers on their tail and right at the base and will have those nice long skinny feathers at the neck that meet up with his smooth chest feathers. (And will have noticeable spurs as well)
DSC04288.JPG

Glad to help. And for one more dose of encouragement heres a pic of a six month old lav Orp roo ( too tired to spell :plbb )

All roosters at the age of six months will have those sharp pointed saddle feathers on their tail and right at the base and will have those nice long skinny feathers at the neck that meet up with his smooth chest feathers. (And will have noticeable spurs as well)
Holy cow! He is so, so, so handsome! As someone who can’t spell for beans, I appreciate your abbreviation

Back
Top Bottom