Mean hen, can I reform her?

Thank you for the advice Georgeto. And my girl would be headed for the spa bath if I ate chicken. My problem is that she's fine within the flock, right where she should be. She is aggressive with PEOPLE. And it's not just posturing, she draws blood. A rolled up newspaper is what I arm my daughter with to go outside. She's only 5 and easily bullied. I try holding her, hand feeding her, and when she attacks, she takes a small unplanned flight. I would like to be out in the yard, enjoying my chooks and duckies without worrying about having my ankles gouged.

About 3 or 4 weeks ago we got 5 hens all of the same age. They came from a larger flock of varied ages and breeds. They are young layers, so pullets? Two are slightly aggresive towards us, but the real problem is that one of them is really mean to one of the others. Today she was sitting on top of the other one basically holding her down and pecking her! I know there has to be a pecking order but this is uncalled for and not right, even for animals. My husband thinks we have to train her into thinking we are the "big dog". Otherwise he is threatening to make her into stew.

About 3 or 4 weeks ago we got 5 hens all of the same age. They came from a larger flock of varied ages and breeds. They are young layers, so pullets? Two are slightly aggresive towards us, but the real problem is that one of them is really mean to one of the others. Today she was sitting on top of the other one basically holding her down and pecking her! I know there has to be a pecking order but this is uncalled for and not right, even for animals. My husband thinks we have to train her into thinking we are the "big dog". Otherwise he is threatening to make her into stew.
i am having the same problem- everyone was
fine untill a few days ago. My hens have grown up together and 3 of the 4 are perfectly fine together. It's the smallest one who's the bully!! We are going to expand our run and add another roost along with other feeders and waters- hopefully this helps. If not it's gonna be chicken stew!

Not sure about aggression towards other birds, but I am happy to say that as I was about to put Blossom in a kennel at the local feed store where she would be up for adoption, the employees, who were amazed at how sweet and docile she was, said it sounded like she was jealous of the attention I gave the other birds. They suggested hugging her till she relaxed when she got aggressive, and then loving on her every chance I got. I tried it, and by the next day she was a new girl. Since then the only pecks I've gotten were gentle prompts for more treats.

Back
Top Bottom