meaties being processed today..

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jessicayarno, Dec 1, 2011.

1. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I am sooo glad it's over.. They turned 8wks yesterday and this last week I have lost 2 more for a total of 5 lost... They are huge, I will give them that, but I hate wondering if I am going to find a dead one when I walk outside.. I am glad I raised them and was able to decide for myself that they aren't right for me...

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I like raising them, but there is definitely a feeling of relief when they're all done! It's something like being on vacation the next day when you don't have to spend your day changing water, stirring bedding, and filling feeders. [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy the meat! It's all a learning experience, right?

3. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    I'm happy for you that the "end has come"...but I admit to being a little sorry that you didn't enjoy the experience more! We've had such good luck with ours I guess, I just couldn't imagine raising too much else for meat except any extra roos that hatch out...but hey, like SIMZ said, it is a learning experience and at least you had it!

4. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    After my first trial batch I decided it was not for me. I said I would never do it again. Ever.
    Well, I have another batch now. I kinda got stuck with them but I am actually enjoying the experience this time.

You may not enjoy it now but once you start eating those birds all the bad memories will begin to fade.

Darin

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    After a couple of months of taking them out of the freezer and enjoying how good the meat is, and after you've forgotten how much work, you might be back raising another batch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by