Medicated Chick Starter or not?

Hegatha

Songster
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
Washington
Just relized I have been feeding Medicated Chick Starter for three weeks now. Does it have to be medicated? or is non medicated better?
Thanks

By now it doesn't matter much.

However, generally speaking, if the chicks were vaccinated at the hatchery, you should not feed medicated starter.

wink.png

There is a debate on medicated or non medicated. Personally, I feed medicated for the first bag of feed and when that is gone I switch to nonmedicated.

If it makes you feel any better, medicated starter is not a guarantee against coccidiosis, especially in a wet location. Feed whichever you like, med or not, and just watch for signs of cocci.
smile.png
I am unable to get non-medicated starter around here.

So how long do you feed the medicated so the dont have coci? I would like to stop feeding the medicated but dont want them getting Coci.

Realize that you're feeding a medication that basically affects the cocci and not the chicken. Can't hurt, is my feeling. Assuming its medicated with amprolium, that is.

I do as many others have said...I feed the first bag medicated then switch to non-medicated. I hatch my own birds and grow them out for there intended purpose in life and so far have not had any losses, thank God!

I feed this: http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/livestock-feed/poultry-feed/dumor-reg-chick-starter-grower-20-feed-50-lb--5078210

I
can't find anywhere on the bag that it says its medicated, so I'm pretty sure its not. My chicks are not vaccinated either. So far, no issues, but I did just start. My oldest birds are 4.5 weeks. They stay in dry quarters, though.

Edited to add: I personally would rather not feed medicated. I'm one of those hippy-all-natural types as often as I can be, but not to the point that I'd put my birdies lives (or mine or any of my other pets) in danger. In my opinion if its not broke, don't fix it (aka, no medicine) ... and, also, that 'natural' prevention is the best kind. If I started having an issue with the non-medicated, I would switch... until then I'll stick with it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom