Medicated Chick starter

Claire_Bear

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 3, 2007
Garrison
I have been getting Medicated chick starter and just recently found out it is mash, but i have been feeding it to them dry. Is this a bad thing tht i feed it to them dry? About how long do i feed them tht....and then what?

It doesn't matter if it is a mash. Keep them on starter until they start to lay...then switch to a layer ration. UNLESS...your feed store has a grower ration; if they do, you would switch from starter to grower at about 8 weeks of age.

Last edited:
One other thing...people misconstrue "Mash"...it doesn't have to be fed with water. Feed will come in 3 forms:
1. Pellets - mash feed that has been heated and pushed through a pellet dye forming the hardened pellets.
2. Crumbles - pelleted feed that has been cut up by passing the pellets through a series of knives.
3. Mash - ration that has been ground and mixed but not pelleted.

Mash feeds should be cheaper than pellets (or crumbles) because the process does not require steam production and a pellet mill. However, you will normally have more wastage and the nutrient utilization is sometimes not as efficient.

Back
Top Bottom