Medicine advice for hen

Canker can spread into the esophagus and expand, eventually closing off the windpipe. This might be the "crackling" you're hearing. It can also spread into the crop, gizzard and liver. Increase metronidazole 250mg to twice a day for no more than 5-7 days.
Birds with canker will be carriers for life and it is spread via waterers to other birds.
Waterers can be sanitized with a bleach water solution.
Acidified copper sulfate will keep it in check. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water once a month for 3 days straight, make it fresh daily.
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/acidified-copper-sulfate-1
@dawg53 can the acidified copper sulfate be used at the same time as the metronidazole? I am tubing water to keep her hydrated so should I just give her the mixture through the tube?

No, let the metronidazole do it's job...patience. It's not going to disappear over night.
The copper sulfate is a monthly preventative. Hopefully the canker will have cleared up and tubing wont be necessary by then.

No, let the metronidazole do it's job...patience. It's not going to disappear over night.
The copper sulfate is a monthly preventative. Hopefully the canker will have cleared up and tubing wont be necessary by then.

Ok. Thank you. I have been reading other threads about canker and it seems like it can take a while. Her nasty beak odor is gone, so that's nice. Since she is separated from the flock, should I treat them with the copper sulfate? I'm sure they have all been exposed.

Just an update--her breathing is becoming a bit more labored. She still has some energy, red comb, passing air ok, but its labored. I am at a loss as to what to do. My non expired baytril is on its way and I'm not sure when it will get here. Is there anything I can give her from the feed store that will help? Should I try the expired Tylan 200? Its 3 years past the date. I am giving her metronidazole 250 BID now in case the canker is growing, and by her breathing it might be. I hate when breathing symptoms present because that is a sucky way to go out. any thoughts?

Ok so I am grasping at straws. My antibiotics are all expired and are not helping her (except for the metronidazole which is not expired). Her mucus is increasing along with the rales crackles in her lungs. My baytril has not shipped yet so I am going to try my expired Tylan 200. Its worth a shot since its all I got. I will give it orally and she's about 4.5lbs. Can anybody help me with her dosing?

I am really desperate as you can tell.
I can get my hands on some doxycycline in about 2 days--100mg/tab, but honestly I am not sure what kind of condition she will be in by then.

Any help is really appreciated.

It's also possible there are lesions in the trachea or like I mentioned before, lesions in the esophagus pressing against the trachea resulting in rales/congestion/mucus build up mimicking a respiratory disease in which antibiotics have no effect. It might be too late to save her if the canker is that far advanced. It might be best to cull her.

It's also possible there are lesions in the trachea or like I mentioned before, lesions in the esophagus pressing against the trachea resulting in rales/congestion/mucus build up mimicking a respiratory disease in which antibiotics have no effect. It might be too late to save her if the canker is that far advanced. It might be best to cull her.

Thank you for replying. I will see how the night goes. I feel like the metronidazole has not done too much for her. Does canker ever not respond to metronidazole?

Back
Top Bottom