Memorial Day is not a "Happy" holiday

Poupoulles

Songster
12 Years
Jul 17, 2007
Mayberry (really!)
Pet Peeve: people saying "Happy" Memorial Day. I am a combat vet and have my list of names I say this weekend like lots of people. And yes I celebrate their lives, but I have to admit it bugs me when people say Happy Memorial Day.
That said, there really isn't a good substitute is there? "And a Solemn Memorial Day to you!" just doesnt quite ring...

Anyway- I hope everyone take a minute to think of all our dead (also annoys me when people talk about Veterans on Memorial Day- wrong holiday!!!) and of their families and buddies who made it home and try ot live their best and earn what they gave us.

Here are a few of my names:

CPL Mike Bibby
CPT Matt Smathers
1SG Chris Coffin
Omar Najjar (my interpreter)
Dr. Mike McGovern
etc
etc
etc
etc

I know plenty of you have your names to say this weekend too. Let's all raise a glass to them!

Thoughtful Memorial Day!

Poupoulles, while I didn't serve (turned 18 in 73 as we were "demobilizing" in Vietnam), I lost many good friends there! I raise a toast to all of them and everyone else lost to combat since! As Memorial Day has become the "unofficial" start to summer in many areas, I thank you for this post and for your service to protect us!
A toast to you!!

Memorial Day is to remember the soldiers that fight for our freedom, and those that gave their lives for that same freedom. Just like Veteran's Day isn't just about honoring fallen Veterans, but the living Veteran's also.

This Monday, as I raise the Flag to full mast and then lower it to half, all those faces will come back to me as I look at the ground and walk back in the house. USAF '70 '74.

My youngest son served 4 tours in Iraq. He is an AIT instrustor now. He suffers from PTSD, and has had 2 back surgeries that will probably end his career. He is a biker too, and to top it off, he also coaches 4 and 5 year old tball. So I honor him on Memorial Day. I also honor him on Veteran's Day. And on Armed Services Day. I think he, like all the rest, deserve a shout out every chance they can get one.

I have never been able to think of the day as one of mourning; I have never quite been able to feel that half-masted flags were appropriate on Decoration Day. I have rather felt that the flag should be at the peak, because those whose dying we commemorate rejoiced in seeing it where their valor placed it. We honor them in a joyous, thankful, triumphant commemoration of what they did. ~Benjamin Harrison

one of my favorite quotes. We come, not to mourn our dead soldiers, but to praise them. ~Francis A. Walker is another.

I've always been torn about the holiday as well. It's purpose IS to commemorate our dead, but I prefer to do that by remembering the good that they have done.

Everyone remember 3PM on Monday for the moment of silence

33, I thank you for your service! You were part of the unrecognized troops that came home!
A toast to you as well!

I have never been able to think of the day as one of mourning; I have never quite been able to feel that half-masted flags were appropriate on Decoration Day. I have rather felt that the flag should be at the peak, because those whose dying we commemorate rejoiced in seeing it where their valor placed it. We honor them in a joyous, thankful, triumphant commemoration of what they did. ~Benjamin Harrison
one of my favorite quotes. We come, not to mourn our dead soldiers, but to praise them. ~Francis A. Walker is another.
I've always been torn about the holiday as well. It's purpose IS to commemorate our dead, but I prefer to do that by remembering the good that they have done.
Everyone remember 3PM on Monday for the moment of silence
Why? I am trying to figure out what war or why that time?

Back
Top Bottom