Mental illness in chicken

Farm life101

Songster
Jan 9, 2018
Florida
Hello, fellow chicken lovers! I’ve got a hen who just turned 1 last week and today I went to let the girls out of the coop and she was behind the door kind of laying down but she wasn’t trying to get out with the rest of the flock and she’s usually one of the first to get out. When all the girls had already gotten out she started to try and come out and she started going in circles to the left I believe and then she started falling as well. I thought maybe something with her legs but I checked them and nothing abnormal and she can stand fine, it’s only when she walks. This came out of nowhere, she was healthy, active, running around and perching normal yesterday and then this happened all the sudden this morning. All of the hens eat purina layer food. They are free ranging in our back yard (about 3/4 of an acre) from 9am to 7pm. They get fed at night, they have a long feeder and a small bowl so they can all eat as they are a bit mean when it comes to any food. In the summer we like to give them watermelon as treats and I’ll give them collard greens every now and then. She lives in a 10x20 coop with 15 other hens and one rooster. Currently a small part of the coop is sectioned of as we have one of our hens raising 4 chicks. She is an Americana hen that one of our hens hatched So she wasn’t vaccinated for anything. They have a small kitty pool in the yard under there favorite tree filled with fresh water every day and they have a small metal water bowl in their coop that is also fresh water every day. All I can think of is that one of the hens hit her to hard on the hen which if that’s the case idk how to help her. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:
So sorry about your hen. I don't think I am experienced enough to advise you but it sounds like it could be neurological. I know there are others who will be able to offer more advice. You may want to update your post with some details like what she eats (feed, supplements) and her living conditions (what is your coop/run like? does she free range?). This will help our more experienced chicken keepers advise you. I hope she recovers!

So sorry about your hen. I don't think I am experienced enough to advise you but it sounds like it could be neurological. I know there are others who will be able to offer more advice. You may want to update your post with some details like what she eats (feed, supplements) and her living conditions (what is your coop/run like? does she free range?). This will help our more experienced chicken keepers advise you. I hope she recovers!
Yes, I definitely forgot to include all that, thank you!

By your decsription I would suspect parasites (red poultry mites) or maybe an ear infection.

You might want to inspect the coop and the hen as well, especially her ears.

By your decsription I would suspect parasites (red poultry mites) or maybe an ear infection.

You might want to inspect the coop and the hen as well, especially her ears.
I looked her over and I didn’t see any mites, I went ahead and gave her a bath and cleaned her ears which there wasn’t much of any dirt/debris from her ears. I’m going to do a good cleaning on the coop later today when it’s not so hot out as I’m in Florida so I’ll check to see if I can find any mites. I also forgot to include that I add DE to their food for 3-5 days every month

Double-sided adhesive tape wrapped around the ends of the roosting bars just where they meet the coop walls will show the next morning if there is a mite issue going on.

Back
Top Bottom