Meriks or vitamin b definceny

Peoples

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2017
East Tennessee
Hello. I am one year into backyard chickens. I added 2 to my flock 2 months ago and integrated into my flock with not to much bullying or pecking order beyond the norm. My smallest one 2 days ago was found in corner being beat up by the two senior girls the other day by my spouse and initially we thought leg injury and stress. We separated her and she was initially walking on her knees per se instead of normal walking and using a wing for balance. We took her to a vet who did x-ray no broken bones. Vet (not bird vet) thought either stress or viral and time would tell. Yesterday spent most day with little to no movement and occasion of panting in her hospital cage at home.we are keeping her in dog crate in house bathroom. Today I took her out for yard time in another area. She seemed to perk up (eating grass, back to Simi standing to sitting rather soon and walking on her knees to get to grass, no panting with movement and tail back up). Her normal chicken yard is devoid of grass as they killed it off last year. We keep them in side yard to prevent dogs getting em. They get normal feed and treats of greens, fruit, meal worms or dried shrimp and recent crickets. We clean coop weekly as well as rake the yard for poop every week and wash off the area with concrete pad. They have dirt, shade of an apply tree, coop within a green house, waterfall feature and a secure location from preditors. My question as I read grass can give supplement for vitamin b definceny and overall better health for chickens. She is eating, feather follices are normal, no pupil issues, and still sweet as can be. Only symtom I see in the weakened legs and not walking normal. Is this a definency of vitamin b or meriks? Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Last edited:
It's hard to firmly diagnose Mareks except through testing, and the symptoms can mimic a few other things. You can try a vitamin supplement in their water or offer sunflower seeds for supplemental thiamine and see if you see improvement.

Back
Top Bottom