Metacam for hens

See picture in post 29 or go get a 1ml syringe from a vet. Dose is three blobs or 0.8ml.

-Kathy

Just an update. I used the metacam for the hen that got trodden on by the horse and she is improving so well, starting to put weight on it now more often. As for the girl with the curled toes, her owner (I'm a minder) dispatched her, there was sadly no Improvement. However complete panic now as I spotted another hen with same symptoms, she was just lingering around while others move on etc. and generally seeming dosy. Today we found her in her hen house just like I found the other old girl. But she now has curled toes!!! I have her straight in but this time as it is night time, I straight away have spotted mites. I have some mite powder here and rubbed it all in her. Is it possible that anaemia could cause the curling of toes??? Her comb is slightly pale but she is no way near as bad condition as the other girl was, so Im hoping I can catch this problem earlier on for this girl. I'm just not sure if it's the mites related problem or not. So glad I spotted them now tho. Any advise appreciated re anaemia and poss toe paralysis. I have a vitamin supplement in her water and will do a big cleanout of all the hens housing tomorrow.

I have also started the wormer paste straight away. All other hens seem fine but have added vitamin to water before dusting tomorrow.

Metacam was prescribed to my chicken:

1.5mg/ml concentration. Dosed at 32cc/#1
"Give 0.85cc 2 times daily by mouth"

My poor Phineas was in bad shape by the time she got the prescription. The doc wasn't too sure what was wrong with her, and the doc's best guess was an abdominal adhesion with the possibility of a secondary infection caused by egg yolk peri.

Note, the bottle also has a label that says "do not refrigerate."

A vet friend recommended Meloxicam. Googling it suggested 0.5mg/kg and a study was using 1mg/kg twice daily as their maximum. A friend left their dog's 1.5mg branded stuff so we are going to give it a try on a chook that has been limping after a fox attack (no visible injury). I'd prefer to underdose than overdose, so will stick with 0.5mg/kg.

A vet friend recommended Meloxicam. Googling it suggested 0.5mg/kg and a study was using 1mg/kg twice daily as their maximum. A friend left their dog's 1.5mg branded stuff so we are going to give it a try on a chook that has been limping after a fox attack (no visible injury). I'd prefer to underdose than overdose, so will stick with 0.5mg/kg.
My vet has me give 0.25 mg/kg twice a day for egg binding.

Back
Top Bottom