Metal roof

I’ve got a 45 degree angle on my roof. The primary reason for using screws over roofing nails (like the ones for asphalt shingles I’m thinking?) is the threads on the screws pull the materials together, giving better wind resistance for the large metal sheets which could act like sails. Screws have less shear strength but that’s not usually a problem in roofing applications.

I found this to be best (cheapest) roofing option. Stand alone Metal roofs can buckle under the weight of heavy snow, I have a few like that and last week at this time we were having a rare blizzard of heavy slush/snow so I was out side getting all wet and cold clearing coop roofs. If you have a lot of snow be sure you have good strong wood re-enforcing it.

If you are looking for the cheapest Plastic Feed bags can be used make roofing shingles... but they need to be replaced frequently. I have done that as I saved up to buy roofing materials.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Union-Corrugating-2-16-ft-x-8-ft-Corrugated-Steel-Roof-Panel/3317582

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=roofing+screws

I posted a search for roofing screws rather than the specific the I use, I don't know the quality of the wood you would be screwing into and you can best figure out what best works for you.

I second this metal roofing! We love it. It is loud when it pours, but the chickens don't seem to care at all. We used the self-tapping screws that came with the roofing at Home Depot. It has some kind of rubber gasket to ensure a good seal. Plywood underneath. Our property is at some elevation, and we have had some wicked wind storms lately, but the roofing held beautifully. (My builder hubby was very happy with the product.) Also, we pitched the roof pretty steep (8 or 9 pitch) so snow slides right off. No accumulation to interfere with the ridge vent (there's a matching metal ridge vent you can get to go with the panels as well).

With the particle board under the metal, noise won't be an issue.

Go for the rubber washers.

Going to pick some up on my next town trip, but that’s about a month away... I haven’t really done much metal roofing installation, so I don’t have any hanging around yet. I was banking on having extras when we get the metal roofing for our house build.

I’m in a bit of a time crunch and believe “done is better than perfect” suits my current situation. For a larger or permanent coop the right tools/fasteners for the job 100%!

It’s just that not everyone has the same budget or access to stores and materials. Offering different options, not the best solution, but in a pinch it does work with panheads if you don’t ovetighten them. You can also seal them with lap sealant for RV’s if you have that hanging around, it’s not pretty, but it works.

Going to pick some up on my next town trip, but that’s about a month away... I haven’t really done much metal roofing installation, so I don’t have any hanging around yet. I was banking on having extras when we get the metal roofing for our house build.

I’m in a bit of a time crunch and believe “done is better than perfect” suits my current situation. For a larger or permanent coop the right tools/fasteners for the job 100%!

It’s just that not everyone has the same budget or access to stores and materials. Offering different options, not the best solution, but in a pinch it does work with panheads if you don’t ovetighten them. You can also seal them with lap sealant for RV’s if you have that hanging around, it’s not pretty, but it works.
Nothing wrong with be resourceful with what you have

If you're not attaching metal roofing (or even the plastic panels) over plywood or OSB, then you need purlins running diagonally across the joists/rafters to attach the panels to for support and strength. (Pic is of the lean to off my shed, but my coop roof is built the same way.)
IMG_2380.JPG

If you're not attaching metal roofing (or even the plastic panels) over plywood or OSB, then you need purlins running diagonally across the joists/rafters to attach the panels to for support and strength. (Pic is of the lean to off my shed, but my coop roof is built the same way.)
View attachment 1618401
Now that's the proper way to do it. My carport is similar to that, My coops... slapped together as cheap as possible causing me to do extra maintenance (snow removal) the 3 times a decade we get heavy snow.

With the particle board under the metal, noise won't be an issue.

Go for the rubber washers.

Other added benefit of having plywood/particle board under a metal roof is it'll help with condensation drips as well.

Rubber washer roof screws are pretty easy to use. They might cost more but I figure the time savings (just screw them down, no need to fuss with anything else) is worth something to me too.

Back
Top Bottom