Metzer Farms quality...

I think it is SO COOL to find John Metzer on here!
cool.png
I actually came on here because I saw someone on the Metzer blog say that it was good to "see him on BYC" so I came looking and found the Metzer farm entry...is that stalking?!!
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
Anyway, I wanted to see what folks were saying. We live in Vermont and have started quite a large flock of varying birds for varying reasons...almost all from Metzer farms. From day 1, the customer service has been beyond reproach...not just in the poultry area, but from any customer service I have dealt with in a long time. I had someone spend a TON of time with me on the phone during several of my ordering processes. They worked out just what was right for me. Then, unfortunately, I had a problem with one of my shipments (no fault of Metzer farms) and they rectified it immediately. I have had countless emails over the past year that he PERSONALLY answers...not matter how "silly" the question may seem to him as I am a relative "newbie". Add in the incredible wealth of knowledge that they keep on their website and the new BLOG, which is fantastic, this is the total package. My ducks are splendid. SPLENDID! They lay like CRAZY! Right now, out of 39 females, I am getting 32-40 eggs PER DAY! They are healthy, lively, lovely and my Swedishes and Pekins MUST be show grade. THey are fantastic! Two of my Pekins are GINORMOUS. Bigger than geese
smile.png
Anyway, this is one satisfied customer who can't rave about them enough. The total package. Oh, and as far as runners, our chocolate runner hen is fantastic. One of the most gorgeous birds I have. Our blue Swedish is breathtaking...large, beautiful form, perfect markings...just beautiful. So, I can't wait to get my order in the spring
smile.png

Stephanie M from Georgia Vermont

Metzer Farms & John Metzer Rock! I've gotten great birds from them in the last three years (all geese - so far no ducklings - yet). I've never been disappointed in my order and the customer sevrice is awesome. I've spoken to John several times - always super helpful and informative. Looking forward to my first ducklings from them.

Joni

I have seven Metzer ducks and they are AWESOME! Big and healthy, funny, chatty, but darkly suspicious...LOL!

We are anxious for eggies. My son was grumbling about having to eat store bought chicken eggs and said "when do your DUCKS start doing their job, Mom? I am DYING for some duck eggs!"
cool.png

When my first Blue Sweedy Pie died the day after arrival, I got right on the phone, got ahold of someone right away and they sent me another, with a pal for company.
smile.png
They arrived healthy as horses! What great customer service!

Right now, EVERY one is laying
smile.png
based on the numbers. My pekins are laying every day. All of them. My Aztecs (not from John and have mallard in them) are all laying. The group of specialties are consistently putting out 9-11 eggs every day from 11 layers (Swedish, runners, buffs, rouens, harlequin) and the layer pen (cayuga, Khakis and white layers and white crested) are also laying 7-11 per day and there are 12 layers in that pen. So, almost everyone is laying almost every day. I use flourescent lights, but, I don't use the ones that cast the white light, I use the ones that cast the more orange and yellow colors, like John M. suggested. They have been doing this for at least 5-6 weeks at this point. (I am guessing and would have to check my calendar, but am pretty close)

We are not perfect but we do try to provide the best service and birds. Thank you for the nice comments.
John Metzer

I live on a small farm, in West Virginia, and I'm very pleased with the quality of waterfowl Metzer Farms provides. I've purchased several geese from Metzer and they are all very healthy. I had a small issue with one shipment, and I received replacement goslings quickly. The customer service is exceptional, I even spoke to Mr. Metzer about dealing with a difficult postmaster and he helped me find another way get my geese. I highly recommend Metzer Farms to anyone who wants quality waterfowl at a reasonable price. I may order some Embden geese from Holderread next year because I'd like to see for myself if they are over 40" tall, but, for all intents and purposes, Metzer Farms waterfowl is superior to all the other large hatcheries in the U.S.A.

Embden and white Chinese goslings from Metzer farms.

My "goofy" super African gander I purchased last year (with my Ancona duck).

Last edited:
I have received 3 shipments with 15 ducks over the last couple years and have another shipment coming next week. All from Metzer's, all of them were sexed and the sexing was 100% correct. They all arrived alive and healthy. Feel free to look through my albums. All the ducks I have/had except for the 2 female Rouens are from Metzer - My Rouen Drake is from Metzer. I have most of the actual breeds (not the hybrids) that they have, so you can get an idea of many of them at various ages - the majority of them are now 2 years old. I don't have them for show - they are spoiled pets. Their customers service has always been tip top and I would recommend them to anyone. Probably most of my ducks aren't show quality, but my Welsh Harlequin is absolutely gorgeous and definitely does her breed proud.

My WH Rhiannon

My two boys, Tevye and Kaine

@Metzer Farms Feel free to use any of these how you please, I would be honored, they are ducks from your hatchery.

Edit: And I almost forgot one very important thing... When we got our first two ducks (the non-Metzer Rouens), we were absolutely clueless. Every question I had I Googled and nearly every time the results lead me to BYC. BYC is a resource of incalculable value and a fantastic forum for anything fowl. The reason I placed my very first order with Metzer is because they were a top sponsor of BYC. I figured I had already gotten a quality product partially because of them (BYC), they deserved my initial order. My subsequent orders were with them because you don't mess with delighted.

Final Edit: I received that 4th shipment and they were all beautiful
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom