Meyer Hatchery - 4 of 15 chicks dead

jbs

Songster
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Maryland
I've read a few recent threads about dead chicks from Meyer, but wasn't THAT concerned as I had no problem with my Meyer chicks a year and a half ago, and the weather isn't horribly cold this week - I actually place my order last minute because the forecast for this week was pretty mild. But I picked up my shipment at the post office this morning and three chicks of 15 were dead. It's been five hours and there are three more chicks that I'm still concerned about, as they're lethargic, not eating and drinking like the other chicks. I've got electrolytes in their water and keep dipping their beaks in. Two of them are drinking this way, but with the third it seems like I'm drowning her, so I may just let her go.

I dug a hole to bury the dead chicks, but I'm holding off on chick burial until I see if the others are going to make it. Three dead chicks out of fifteen is bad enough, 4-6 is horrible. I don't know if Meyer gave me a batch of weak chicks or if someone at the post office left the box out on a loading dock overnight, but this is pretty heartbreaking.

The box was shipped with a heat pack, it shipped on Monday and arrived at my post office by Wednesday morning. I called Meyer this morning and the customer service person told me to wait the 48 hours to see if any other chicks die. Meyer will either credit me for the dead birds or ship new ones out - but there's a minimum of 15 so I'd just get credit for however many birds from my current batch die. Neither is a very good option - I'm not sure I can handle another 15 chicks, and the $2-$4 chick refund doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I'll think twice before ordering chicks in the winter. I chose Meyer because they're not too far from me in MD, but if I order chicks thru the mail again, I may opt for a different hatchery next time.

I just checked the brooder and the weakest chick is dead, so four dead of 15, which is pretty awful. I just hope it doesn't get any worse.

I've ordered from Meyer multiple times and always been happy. I've never had a chick DOA but, I did have one die the 2nd day and they replaced it at no charge..and gave me a couple extra to help keep her warm. I think your losses may have more to do with the time of year (cold) than anything.

Our Meyer order-all 15 DOA
We had a shipment of 15 rare breed pullets hatched Monday. After a lot of calls and helpful local postal employees, I tracked them down at a sorting facility Wednesday afternoon. All dead. If I had not called they would have been at my local office THURSDAY morning. I have never had priority mail take that long, even cross country. This was only from OH to TN. The local postal people think somebody dropped the ball somewhere, either Meyer or USPS. The package made two stops in OH, passed within 5 miles of us to a sorting facility 100 miles south, passed back within 5 miles of us to a sorting facility 25 miles north, where I picked them up. There was another Meyer box there with 3 or 4 dead out of 15.

I know, it's February, and Meyer is one of the few that will ship 15 in "winter". Lessons learned, but shipping should not have taken that long.

SMA - I'm sorry, that sounds awful. Are you going to have Meyer ship replacement chicks? And I agree with those who wrote that it's too cold to ship 15 chicks. I checked some other hatchery websites (McMurray and others), and their minimum over winter is 25 chicks. My last order with Meyer was in warmer weather, which is probably why I had no issues.

I've now lost 5 of my 15 chicks, and there's one more that I'm pretty sure will go today. The rest of the chicks seem pretty active, but I have some concerns about them all having been weakened by the cold. I will never order 15 chicks over winter again. The worst part about this is the guilt that I sent these chicks to their deaths. They just never had a chance.

I'm so sorry for your losses... I ordered 10 chicks from Meyer hatchery, and I chose a May shipment for this reason. It's just far too cold to be ordering chicks now. Especially considering their minimum is fifteen at one of the coldest times of year. I really hope you don't lose any more... :(

Thanks MsChickenMomma. You were smart to chose a May shipment for your chicks. I was dumb enough to trust Meyer when they said they could safely ship 15 chicks in winter. Good luck with yours when you get them.

My last sickly chick is still hanging on, but barely. She will dip her beak into the waterer and drink, but only if I hold her over the water. So I've been making her drink sips of sugar water every hour or so. I read somewhere to try a gruel of chick starter watered down with sugar water. I got her to take a few sips of this, which at least makes me feel more useful, but I think it's probably too late for her. It would have been easier if they had just been DOA rather than nursing them along only to have them die anyway. I certainly did learn my lesson.

It's not your fault. If it's anybody's, it's Meyer's. They said they could ship 15 chicks safely in the winter. It's not anything you did wrong. You did everything you could <3

Last edited:
I think the USPS might have had more blame than Meyer on this one since they were within 5 miles of your place...then shipped them to another sorting facility! Sorry you lost them. We had 16 shipped, lost one.

I think the USPS might have had more blame than Meyer on this one since they were within 5 miles of your place...then shipped them to another sorting facility! Sorry you lost them. We had 16 shipped, lost one.
Yeah, they are to blame too. That's really sort of dumb how they shipped them back and forth like that. They were carrying live animals! Poor chickies...
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom