Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Your girls are funny. That was a lot of weight on your back since they are not little anymore, I am surprised that you didn't fall over! Too bad no one else was there to take a picture, that would have been a neat picture!:lau

I actually had to hold onto the walls of the coop. Otherwise I would have fallen over! :lau I was wishing someone was there with a camera too.

Last edited:
Pretty girls, I bet Daisy will lay first! Of course I could be wrong, not sure when the SS start laying, but my CW was one of my first and I heard the BA's take longer and my BO, EE, and CW all took longer then the others. Now if you had a leghorn, you'd probably already would have eggs. It'll be interesting to see who starts laying first with the varieties you have.

Really!? And she has always been the slowest in developing! Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs right? As of right now she looks like she has a bare, pale forhead and the tiniest of pale wattles.

I'm going to have to lookup what a noodle comb is.... That sounds interesting? Wonder if my EE has one.

A noodle comb is simply a nickname that EE people have for a modified pea comb that kind of folds up like a noodle. My girl Cubby has one--she is NOT from Meyer Hatchery, but she's the only example I have of the 'noodle comb'.

P.S. My guess for first to lay would be Pearl with the amount of comb and wattles she has developed in comparison to the others. ;) Have any of them squatted yet? If they have, that usually comes one or two weeks before their first egg.

A noodle comb is simply a nickname that EE people have for a modified pea comb that kind of folds up like a noodle. My girl Cubby has one--she is NOT from Meyer Hatchery, but she's the only example I have of the 'noodle comb'.

P.S. My guess for first to lay would be Pearl with the amount of comb and wattles she has developed in comparison to the others.
wink.png
Have any of them squatted yet? If they have, that usually comes one or two weeks before their first egg.

What color egg does Cubby lay?

Hopefulpeeps: That is true about Pearl, she does look closer and Pip is much more experienced then me. I just have fun playing the guessing game and was looking at it by breed and my experience with the one CW I had.

I don't know if Cubby's still laying--she's 8 1/2 years old and I haven't seen her in the nests in a while now--but in her prime, her eggs were a pale blue-green. :)

Sounds like a good plan!
That looks like a good spot and I think a wire bottom would help too. Also, if you see her lay an egg in there you know she's not broody anymore!

I'm curious if everyone's new EE's will lay blue or green eggs. I think if a lot of people are getting brown then I'll get mine from somewhere else than Meyers. I still don't think one of mine is laying yet but for sure only 1 out of the 3 lays green and I may take my chances elsewhere and get chicks from my feed store next spring. They use a hatchery in Texas; I think Ideal. But if so many people are getting brown eggs I think Meyers should work on getting back to the green eggs. Or maybe it's kinda hard to and I don't understand all the genetics?

My Moe has been in the cage all day and is eating and drinking but not as much as usual. She isn't putting any weight on the leg at all. But at least she's outside with the other girls rather than in the coop all day. We'll see how she is tomorrow.
We have Olivia all set up now in her extra large broody cage, which is actually our extra large dog kennel. We had to flip it upside down since the bottom holes are so large. She is not a happy chicken. I feel so sorry for her. I gave her wet layer food with meal worms, cracked corn and BOSS mixed in. I read that dry food is a bad idea in a wire cage since she'll just knock it over and it will fall through the wires. I feel so mean doing this, but I guess I have too. It is so cool at night now so I hope this will not take too long to break her.

How's your broody cochin? and her leg?

Thanks pip!! Love your chicken with the noodle comb! So cute!

I have yet to notice anyone doing something that I would call squatting, but Ive been on the lookout. Last time I checked Pearl and Diamond my SS who also has a little more comb/wattle develoment, their hipbones were only about 1.5 fingers apart... not sure how far apart they need to be, but Im sure more than that.

Please tell me I'm not the only already starting a wish list for next spring. Winters are harsh around here and I lost a few birds last year so planning my replacements for spring.

Back
Top Bottom