Meyer meal maker breed

ImNotYogi

Songster
5 Years
Dec 8, 2014
Eastern NC
The chicks turned 2 weeks on Monday. When they first arrived I thought she might be a black australorp. Then the white started to show more in her face and wings. So far the wing tips are white, there are black markings on her shanks and a little on toes, another user mentioned a barred pattern in the feathering, and it looks like she has a single comb. Apologies for the quality in the photos.

Hm, if it's a cuckoo maran hybrid would the white be an indicator of a cockeral?
Depends on the cross. If it was a Barred Rock or Cuckoo maran female x a black gene male (Australorp or otherwise), the the barring could indicate a cockerel. Could you get a better image of the comb?

I didn't know barred rocks start out having black on their shanks then lose it, evidently? This one seems to be gaining more black. I don't recall black being on the toes when they first arrived but now there is. Just in case this will mean anything. In either case I got more photos of the comb.

I didn't know barred rocks start out having black on their shanks then lose it, evidently? This one seems to be gaining more black. I don't recall black being on the toes when they first arrived but now there is. Just in case this will mean anything. In either case I got more photos of the comb.

Most barred chicks that end up having yellow legs start out with grey, often with a little yellow. For now, I'm guessing your chick is a cockerel.

With Barred Rock and Cuckoo Marans--the pullets often have a grey wash on their legs--and as adults their legs still have the grey or are at least not nearly as bright yellow as the cockerels.

Did the chick come as a "meal maker" with other meat birds or with laying pullets? The meal maker is usually going to be something for similar use. If you only ordered pullets, I would guess your bird is a Cuckoo Marans, Barred Rock or Olive Egger pullet. If you ordered other cockerels and/or meaties, I would guess Black Sex Link cockerel.

Last edited:
With Barred Rock and Cuckoo Marans--the pullets often have a grey wash on their legs--and as adults their legs still have the grey or are at least not nearly as bright yellow as the cockerels.

Did the chick come as a "meal maker" with other meat birds or with laying pullets? The meal maker is usually going to be something for similar use. If you only ordered pullets, I would guess your bird is a Cuckoo Marans, Barred Rock or Olive Egger pullet. If you ordered other cockerels and/or meaties, I would guess Black Sex Link cockerel.
Never thought of a Black Sex-Link cockerel, but I guess that's possible. But wouldn't the chick be grey with a white spot on it's head?

I ordered all females. When does the shank size start to be more of an gender indicator? And when do males and females generally start standing on one leg? This little ones legs aren't thick but I've noticed a different one has comparatively larger ones than the others. But the meal maker has been the first I've seen standing on one leg

Edit: one chicks shanks looked rather thick before posting this but it could have been the angle as I'm not seeing it now. Also, Meyer doesn't sell sex links.

Last edited:
It looks like a Cuckoo Marans or Barred Rock pullet to me. I don't see anything that would indicate cockerel esp. with those dark legs. Comb is a little big but it's pale.

Back
Top Bottom