MGG's Hatching Thread!

Pics
I had to help the little thing out. She wasn't looking so good. Not energetic at all. So I opened up where the air sac was and she had internally pipped. No blood or yolk left. So I carefully made a circle around her peeling a bit of the membrane off until she stretched out. I left her bottom half in the shell and tucked her back under her momma. My hens a bit weird. She went straight in a pulled off the egg from her. So I guess thats that 😂. She's looking good now though. Looks to be blue. Also another one hatched while I sorted all this out!! It looks like red and blue and white and stuff. Hard to tell rn. But, my broody also crushed a smaller hole in another egg. Its a smaller hole and its around where the egg already pipped so Im not gonna touch it of course. Hopefully my broody figures it all out eventually😂.

Lol, you posting just a moment before me. I'm glad you were able to help the little one. I would definitely keep a close eye on her though. That worries me that she's breaking the shells.

Lol, you posting just a moment before me. I'm glad you were able to help the little one. I would definitely keep a close eye on her though. That worries me that she's breaking the shells.
Yeah, its kind of strange. I think she's just being to aggressive pushing the eggs beneath her. I watched her do it once and she does it a little to harsh. But when I gave her back the chicks she just gently scooted them under her.

Awwwe! I'm glad you got the baby out. Definitely keep an eye on your hen, she shouldn't be doing that to them. There are no other birds in with your broody that could be doing it, right?
There are others in the coop but she doesn't let anyone near her but me. She's pecked some other birds pretty hard actually when they get too close.

Help! should my chicks be eating/drinking/pooping? I've seen a few poops, but they looked like egg whites. Is this normal? The chick who hatched first's poop is kind of green too. I tried to show them the water but I have not seen them drink by themselves. They have pecked some chick crumble though.
How old are they now? They start having green poops when they're a few hours old usually, and then once the poops turn light (indicating that they've run out of yolk) they start eating more.
They don't really eat until they're a couple days old.

My last egg died. 😭
It was my Lavender Ameraucana baby who was really malpositioned. It was so cute. It was alive half an hour ago, but when I just checked it was dead. I opened it up, it was definitely not ready yet. There was a lot of veining and yolk still. But guess what, severe crossbeak. 😔

ok
How old are they now? They start having green poops when they're a few hours old usually, and then once the poops turn light (indicating that they've run out of yolk) they start eating more.
They don't really eat until they're a couple days old.
thank you so much. The Huckleberry (who hatched 24 hr ago) and Boysenberry (15 hrs) are having egg whitey poops, the young ones who hatched this morning are having greenish poops with liquid.

Back
Top Bottom