MHP Construction ideas needed

I'm kind of tempted to rig up some light chain and make mine hang, be even easier to adjust height. Thinking a length of chain attached to each corner of a rack and then up to an S-hook, could easily make the back ones longer. Of course, my barn brooder has a beam in the top that it would be easy to attach that to, I'd probably just set the rack up on little cups while they're tiny and in the house.
I had also thought about a hanging one, but then worried about beaks or toes getting hung up in the chain - I suppose it depends on the type of chain used too. I re-use everything, so only had Jack chain, but a bigger size might just work.

Yeah, I have some concerns about them jumping on it too. I dunno, I need to get out in the shop and just play with some stuff. I plan to cut a couple 1x1s a foot long and then cut some small dowels 24" and make a little support like that with just three dowels across, should be able to attach them with poultry staples. I may fashion something from cardboard to discourage them jumping on top.

Yeah, I have some concerns about them jumping on it too. I dunno, I need to get out in the shop and just play with some stuff. I plan to cut a couple 1x1s a foot long and then cut some small dowels 24" and make a little support like that with just three dowels across, should be able to attach them with poultry staples. I may fashion something from cardboard to discourage them jumping on top.
Oh, they will be on top of it for sure LOL As soon as one figures out how to get up there the other will follow.

Getting out and tinkering with your design is the best way to do it. I must have looked at 100s of photos, but I think we all eventually come up with what works for our own set-up. No 2 are exactly alike:)

I used a metal grid square and used stick and seal wrap to attach the heating pad. Used garden string to hang the grid at an angle in the brooder. This is my first go at chickens but it seemed to work well.

Just chiming in my zero-cost option of a cardboard frame made from a canning jar package. I know a lot of urban farmers/homesteaders probably have these on hand as well!
DSC_0113.JPG
DSC_0145 (2).JPG

Back
Top Bottom