Mice problem and question about chickens and dead mice

And once you have mice getting rid of what drew them there doesn't help...mice don't identify things by smelling and then eating...they just literally walk around biting into everything they come across some of it turns out to be food...some of it is electrical wires, or cardboard...they don't discriminate against anything they can chew.

Good thread. I was looking for the same information. I have been setting snap traps since the poison scares me a bit.
I guess I will keep setting the traps.
I have caught 22 mice so far. Most in the coop that is a converted shed, some in the covered patio room, and a couple near our other shed.
I will be planting mint since I cannot stand the smell of cat nip. There was a large cat roaming the neighborhood for a couple years but he is gone now. I think he was keeping the population down.
Mice are so gross.
A friend of mine gave me the tip of super gluing a piece of dog food to each trap. Before I did that I was not catching any with peanut butter.
In the spring I am redoing the coop so it is raised. They do not seem to be getting into the raised coops.

I've seen my cat give live mice to the chickens. She did that to my dogs when they were puppies too.

This property was overrun with mice when I got here. I adopted a barn cat from the spca - problem solved. Otherwise snap traps can be effective but you need to keep at it. Personally, I would not use poison even if the label says chickens can eat it. That'll end up in my food supply.

Back
Top Bottom