Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

Just sent to Debbie Stabenow...

Ms. Stabenow, I heard you state in front of the group last month you supported small farming, sustainable living, responsible soil management and conservation of resources etc. I was also there when the deciding majority of the AG Commissioners were patting each other on the backs (save one) about how genuinely they believed their mission was to sponsor and support to the best of their abilities, good agricultural practices. With one fell swoop, a 4:1 vote just made criminals of thousands of backyard farmers. That was a completely irresponsible action on their behalf. There was a reasonable way to approach the problem. They have the experience to offer smaller communities in which backyard farming was beginning to take root truly good management practices and instead, they dumped it at the feet of witless local (urban) politicians who know nothing of proper land ethics and environmental stewardship. I urge you to contact the governor and arrange for some kind of discourse with the AG department so their recent actions don't wind up making your words ring hollow. What they have done with recent GAAMPs adoption smacks of..."What the big print giveth, the little print taketh away". Yours truly...

I just had an idea! Lets ring it in! Lets do what we do best, support, organize, and advocate! Lets all keep MDARD's phones ringing! We can spread the word to our customers, friends, family, and for those on FB, maybe organize there too? Lets give them what they asked for in the meeting, public comment. They said that they "had to vote today, it couldn't be delayed" but they claimed that they could go back and change it later. So lets do what we can to encourage them to change it.
Does anyone agree or disagree with this idea? Having everyone possible call and voice their concern?
I don't think it could hurt...

Yes, definitely agree. Anyone with ongoing concerns should contact the Ag Commission:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

This is a recording from the RTF workshop that RFT Chickens recorded and shows the bad attitude our elected officials have towards us. I''m hoping it will shake things up a bit like when Mitt Romney was recorded at his private fundraiser making fun of middle/lower income people.

lly Posted by Mustaq Varish

Dear elected official,
After hearing the results of the agriculture commission vote, I'm sorely disappointed! Townships are being given entirely to much power! They vote their own salaries, funded by tax payers. In an effort to increase revenue, its in a townships best interest to design an ordinance against the keeping of farm animals in residential zoned parcels. If animals are to be kept, a variance is required. The cost of the variance? $260! So, is this all in the name of "what is best for neighboring properties? Or is this a form of extortion?
Definition of extortion: "the practice of taking something, especially money, through force or threats"
On my 50+ acres of residentially zoned property I'm not allowed to own ONE farm animal! I'm welcome to keep animals if I pay the $260 to APPLY for the variance. I'm not guaranteed that I will GET the variance. If I do not comply, I'm forced to remove my animals. Sound like extortion to you?!?
I'm wondering why my 50+ acres are zoned residential to begin with. Could it be because residential zoning gets taxed at a higher mil? Surrounding properties have hundreds of acres ZONED RESIDENTIAL! zoning changes take place weather the property owner agrees with the change or not. They take public comment, and even if everyone voices their comment against the change, the TOWNSHIP votes on it, not the residents. This ordinance clearly is not because its in the best interest of my community!
My farm is organic in nature, we are chemical free whenever possible, and we are MAEAP verified.
Why should my township have so much power?!? Why did the Ag commission vote to give the townships more power? A local township near us recently voted themselves life time benefits. How do you suppose they are going to fund these benefits? With a county unemployment average of 12.1%, and an average per capita income of $16,084 and a population density of 20 people per square mile? And how can ANYONE in this entire county logically prohibit agricultural activity? People here are trying to feed their families! And how are these properties being zoned residential with such large acreages, and low population densities?
It's obviously in the local official's best interest to extort money LEGALLY from its residents.

As an elected official, what are you doing to help me, and others like me? I'm actually paying your salary through taxes. I'm also paying my township's salary too, and fighting to keep my animals and feed my family.
THIS is why MICHIGAN is circling the drain in population! People are getting fed up with this legal extortion. We have had enough!
The way I see this, if you are supporting this legal form of extortion, you will NOT be getting my vote in the next election!

RTFchickens...I think we agree that keeping livestock (regardless of the parcel size or zoning classification) should have some kind of oversight right? If we can't form a coalition amongst ourselves to promote responsible aspects of self-regulation, then it will have to be some government agency right? Should my non-farming neighbors have to pay extra taxes for inspectors to check out my farm? If I'm benefitting and some government agency is going to do the inspecting...I'm personally not opposed to paying SOMETHING for that service. Maybe it's $20 a year or maybe a couple dozen eggs to the inspector who comes by twice a year or something but again, to me it seems only fair.

Mustaq
"Regardless of parcel size or zoning classification" as you spoke of is my big problem. Yes, I do believe that RTFA should protect ALL farmers big, small, and regardless of zoning, or lot size.
If big farmers zoned Ag have to pay the $260 fee to farm, then I will do it too. But they don't. I'm being singled out and forced to pay their "non-compliance fee" since my township re-zoned me to Res vs. Ag.
This is where I have a problem. As part of the variance farm, I'm agreeing to random TOWNSHIP inspections which Agricultural zoning is not subject to.
I simply want an even playing field with equal rights and equal fees. If we want to share the same RTF protection, and follow GAAMPS, the same rules should apply to all farmers, regardless of zoning.
If we don't have equal protection from townships, and they continue to be allowed to impose these fees on only Res, and tax res higher, why not just zone everyone across Michigan Res? Well, that's what they are starting to do. I cannot tell you how many people on here have had their zoning changed from Ag to res in the past 10 years or so. Even against the land owners wishes.
I'm sorry if I'm hurting any feelings in the way I feel.
Our township has down right harassed us for having animals. To the point where one official has been convicted criminally for crossing the line with us.

Everyone at MDARD keeps saying the same thing that Jim Johnson said on Monday, that it is just too hard to regulate this at a statewide level.
That is Bull-

There is a standard of care established for nearly each type of livestock you can think of. I have used this data for my MAEAP verification and for projects during my masters programme. This data can be compiled in one easy-to-use format of chart based checklist. A single page, based on animal type, can tell you how much area is needed, how much shelter is required, and how much manure is produced. If desired, I can also demonstrate the affect the animal has on the soil structure and potential runoff. Even a dim-witted ordinance nazi can understand the chart.

I have proposed this to MDARD and the GAAMPs committee chairpeople. Not one person has even bother to look at the data.
Inspection, regulation, mitigation or other enforcement can be accomplished with a single-source guideline.

Anyone remember when each town had its own set of building codes? It was a chaotic nightmare for citizens and builders alike until the building code was codified as a statewide code. Each town still does its own inspections but now they are all using the same set of guidelines. This can be done with livestock as well.

My idea would eliminate the confusing animal unit designation and use simple math to determine the suitability of any animal in any given area. Heck it could even be constructed to protect the CAFOs that MDARD loves so much.

The beauty is that the data are neutral and scientifically based.

Oh I agree this has come to a showdown now. I'm just on a city lot and I can hardly imagine the loathing and disgust others have welled-up inside of them for administrators that have made their lives Hell. Many have made huge sacrifices in order to get "off the grid" and move beyond the reach of "the man" and pursue a life of tranquility and self sustenance only to find now...that there is no where left to run. Backed into a corner we have no option but to fight. This is going to get very ugly and many more will follow where you and Randy and others have already been. Lives will be ruined in the turmoil to ensue. I'm no genius but I will make the effort to look at Randy's guideline proposal and you are correct in that an equal playing field is required. No more subsidizing CAFO operations with taxpayer dollars as well.

After speaking with MDARD today, I confirmed that my property DOES have right to farm protection based on the new "population density test"
I'm relieved for myself, but still seething for all of you. Only my two houses are protected, my other one is not.
I'm requesting a proactive inspection from MDARD to get my township off of my back (finally) luckily my house that is not covered by RTFA allows 4 animals. Hopefully nobody counts, because I have a broody with young.

I'm willing to help all that I can, just let me know how! I know I'm in the minority here by being included in the RTF protection. I'm still going to send letters, and make phone calls and advocate to be able to keep animals regardless of lot size. I'm curious how many complaints my township gets (the township that allows animals). To my knowledge its not many if at all...

Back
Top Bottom