Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

Hi All! I've just been served with a citation by my zoning office. I live in West Bloomfield. I'm building my case to go before the board in February to get a variance to keep my 17 chickens. I live on an acre in a residential area. I sell my eggs as part of my shares in my small CSA that I operate. I grow on my property enough for 10 families and sell my lettuce and salad greens at the local farmers market. In fact, the name of my business is One Acre Farm CSA. So, in essence, I am selling my eggs and I consider myself a farm! When I go before the board in February(and that's after paying $200 just to get on the agenda) do I whip out my MRTF copy and point out that the state over rules the township or should I do that before to see if they back down. I got served at the beginning of this month and I need to submit my appeal ASAP in order to avoid any fines. Bear in mind I don't have a lot of money to fight this....Please advise!

Quote:
First, are your certified with the state as following GAAMPS? If not, get that done ASAP. Once you have the GAAMPS verification, then provide that, with a copy of the MRTFA and a letter stating that your farm operation is protected by state law, and that their attempt to ignore state law will result in you filing suit in state court for recovery of all your expenses to protect your farm operation. Send this packet to each city council member and a copy to the city attorney. Make sure it is obvious that you have sent a copy to the legal department.

OK. I'm reading it right now. Never knew I had to register or whatever. I'm going to submit my request for variance today to keep them off my back(and so I can sleep) and then explore this more in depth before my hearing in February. Thanks!

Quote:
You don't need to ask for a variance. You are protected by state law. It might be a good thing to have your farm inspected for Gaamps but, I don't think it is necessary. You just have to show you take care of your chickens, and that is easy to do.

We went through this with our city, and so far so good. This started for us just before memorial day. We still have our chickens.

Rather than applying for a variance, I would suggest that you send a letter specifying that you follow GAAMPS, and that according to the MRTFA STATE law, you are exempt from local regulation. In the meantime, contact the state agriculture department and have it verified that you folllow GAAMPS, and request their assistance on protecting your rights. Might also want to contact your state legislators.

Quote:
Yup, right on the money. We contacted our state senator and rep, they both researched and agreed with us on the law. Our state rep even looked up the notes when the law was written and could not find anything that would suggest this law was not intended for us backyard chicken farmers.

Im confused on GAAMPS- how does it apply to those of us with a few hens that we keep in our suburban backyards?
How would I even begin to show that I follow GAAMPS- or even know that I am? I have indeed tried to read the link provided- but for whatever reason, it becomes latin in my brain.

there is not really much in gaamps about backyard chickens, you just need to show that you are taking care of your birds.

Quote:
So, if my one acre is zoned single family residential, I have no right to raise 3-5 chickens (hens) for egg production/sale under the MRTFA??

Jeff
(Oscoda, MI)

Back
Top Bottom