Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

What breed do you have Troyer
I have approximately 50 "purebred" Cubalaya large fowl, about that many in various stages of crossbreeding to the Cubalaya to bring up size on them and about 25 Cubalaya bantam project birds. I have 1 black Shamo hen and 1 pair of purebred Sumatra. I used Ganoi to bring up size on my Cubalaya as they were quite a bit too small when I got them. This seems to be working quite well, although my method was almost the opposite from what the longtime breeders recommended. I was recommended to use a Cubalaya cock over a large Oriental hen, preferably Shamo, but I decided to use Ganoi. (Method #1) The long time breeders were all telling me to use a Cubalaya cock over my choice of Ganoi hen. That has not turned out nearly as well as the accidental breeding of (Method #2) a Ganoi cock over a Cubalaya hen. After using method #1 for 4 years and not really getting anything worth a whole lot, I am a lot more pleased with my 2nd generation of method #2. I guess that just goes to show that we can all learn from some of our accidental crossbreeding.
This is a the Ganoi cock that I used in (Method #2), they are a hard feathered breed and tend to not have as much feathering as most of the other breeds do especially in the summer, they can
take the heat very well and in some cases need extra protection in the winter. I don't have this Ganoi anymore as I only needed him to make my F1's. I don't have any purebred Ganoi at all anymore, only half breeds.
Ganoi cock with one hennie gene.

This is the Cubalaya hen he was bred to, to produce the black pullet below.

This hen is his daughter with chicks that come from her being bred to a white Cubalaya cock.

Here are two of the above chicks now white breeding adults. Tails are supposed to be at or below horizontal with below horizontal preferred.

Close up of the head. In my opinion and according to the Standard Of Perfection, this is an almost perfect Cubalaya head. The beak could be just a tad shorter, but he is still young so that could change a bit as he finishes maturing. Eye color is a bit light , but passable. The eye color needs to be a reddish bay.

The Ganoi cocks were not afraid of any hawks no matter how big the hawks were. They tackled anything that tried to get the hens or young. Several times I would hear cackling going on in the chicken yard and run out to see what was going on. Most times there was a hawk sitting in the tree above the chicken yard with these Ganoi standing either right beneath the tree or between the hens and chicks wherever they would be which was usually under the coop or under a wild rosebush. This is my original Ganoi that the one pictured above is out of.
...winter picture.

I wish I could make a tunnel to the coop so I didn't have to expose my lungs to these bitter winds. Ugh. Off I go.
Had to wear my lightweight scarf over my mouth & nose out to my henhouse this morning. I hate when it is bitter cold
1f626.png

Back
Top Bottom