Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

A dis-agree on an opinion or rather experiment.

My daughter's cousin learned about incubating chicks and science in her Kindergarten class this year, located in Cedar Springs, MI. I thought that this was an interesting thing and that it might be very good for the children and maybe even teach them something about animal responsibility including birth and the appreciation all of animals. I am sure that many of these lessons were passed onto the children.

What surprised myself and angered my own love of animals was the fact that after the incubation and birth of the chicks at about 6 days the teacher decided to give away all of the chicks to classmates. Now you may be thinking that this was no big deal as the chicks in fact do need a home if the teacher is not willing to be responsible for the hatch herself. What was a big deal was that these potential new chick owners were not screened or educated on the care of the chicks needed to sustain them. They were given a small cardboard box and sent home on the bus or picked up by many un-specting parents much like my daughter's cousin. The chicks then most likely ended up in urban or homes where they may not get the care they need as in the case of my daughter's cousin's home.

The entire story from my daughter's cousin, her mother and her grandmother had bothered my daughter. She came home in tears and was very convincing that we encourage her cousin and her parents to release the chick to us or someone who could care for it properly. My daughter is 11 and her cousin is only 5 years old.

The story of my daughter's cousin's chick: The chick traveled home on the bus with the child. It was, according to the parents, in a cardboard box for hours before it came home officially. By then it had been handled by almost everyone on the bus, according to the child, and picked up, dropped by the child herself. The chick then according to the mother's direction was left outside because it was livestock and not welcome into the home overnight for 2 days. We were told that the mother said "Oh that thing will be just fine." After these two days, during Memorial weekend, the chick went camping for 4 days spending time outside of the family's traveling RV before returning home to it's "outside the garage" "brooder" cardboard box. The chick, according to my daughter, is now being fed a diet of Parakeet food. The chick was not provided food or much water and a brooding light during the entire "trip". The chick is now housed inside a bigger cardboard box again outside the garage.

We and my daughter have pleaded with the family. The mother claims they can take better care of it than us. But alas, my daughter invited her cousin over to the house to view our chickens and their coop and explain why they need certain care. The cousin was nicely taken over by her Grandmother whom also encourages our "idea" for her granddaughter's chick. My daughter and I offered to take her cousins chick off her hands and let us raise it with loving care, the promise that she could visit it anytime and that we'd keep her little chick safe. We have yet to hear from the family. Our offer was of-course made today and hopefully it will just take time.

I am ashamed of the teacher whom didn't screen or seem to care where and what happened to these chicks she incubated after she gave them away to little children with no instructions on care and to the surprise of many parents. I could be wrong in my view of these events but I just had to share my opinion and remorse for the care and handling of these chicks. I understand the necessity to teach our children animal welfare and husbandry but do not agree with how it has taken course in this classroom. It to me is like teaching the lesson but not following thru on what you teach.

Comments and opinions? Am I wrong or right to think this way? Am I too concerned or not concerned enough? I am in no way picking a fight with our wonderful educators in this state. I am just a concerned citizen, parent and chick lover. Thank you all.

A concerned and loving chicken owner in Grant.

Last edited:
A dis-agree on an opinion or rather experiment.

My daughter's cousin learned about incubating chicks and science in her Kindergarten class this year, located in Cedar Springs, MI. I thought that this was an interesting thing and that it might be very good for the children and maybe even teach them something about animal responsibility including birth and the appreciation all of animals. I am sure that many of these lessons were passed onto the children.

What surprised myself and angered my own love of animals was the fact that after the incubation and birth of the chicks at about 6 days the teacher decided to give away all of the chicks to classmates. Now you may be thinking that this was no big deal as the chicks in fact do need a home if the teacher is not willing to be responsible for the hatch herself. What was a big deal was that these potential new chick owners were not screened or educated on the care of the chicks needed to sustain them. They were given a small cardboard box and sent home on the bus or picked up by many un-specting parents much like my daughter's cousin. The chicks then most likely ended up in urban or homes where they may not get the care they need as in the case of my daughter's cousin's home.

The entire story from my daughter's cousin, her mother and her grandmother had bothered my daughter. She came home in tears and was very  convincing that we encourage her cousin and her parents to release the chick to us or someone who could care for it properly. My daughter is 11 and her cousin is only 5 years old.

The story of my daughter's cousin's chick:  The chick traveled home on the bus with the child. It was, according to the parents, in a cardboard box for hours before it came home officially. By then it had been handled by almost everyone on the bus, according to the child, and picked up, dropped by the child  herself. The chick then according to the mother's direction was left outside because it was livestock and not welcome into the home overnight for 2 days. We were told that the mother said "Oh that thing will be just fine." After these two days, during Memorial weekend, the chick went camping for 4 days spending time outside of the family's traveling RV before returning home to it's "outside the garage" "brooder" cardboard box. The chick, according to my daughter, is now being fed a diet of Parakeet food. The chick was not provided food or much water and a brooding light during the entire "trip". The chick is now housed inside a bigger cardboard box again outside the garage.

We and my daughter have pleaded with the family. The mother claims they can take better care of it than us. But alas, my daughter invited her cousin over to the house to view our chickens and their coop and explain why they need certain care. The cousin was nicely taken over by her Grandmother whom also encourages our "idea" for her granddaughter's chick. My daughter and I offered to take her cousins chick off her hands and let us raise it with loving care, the promise that she could visit it anytime and that we'd keep her little chick safe. We have yet to hear from the family. Our offer was of-course made today and hopefully it will just take time.

I am ashamed of the teacher whom didn't screen or seem to care where and what happened to these chicks she incubated after she gave them away to little children with no instructions on care and to the surprise of many parents. I could be wrong in my view of these events but I just had to share my opinion and remorse for the care and handling of these chicks. I understand the necessity to teach our children animal welfare and husbandry but do not agree with how it has taken course in this classroom. It to me is like teaching the lesson but not following thru on what you teach.

Comments and opinions? Am I wrong or right to think this way? Am I too concerned or not concerned enough?  I am in no way picking a fight with our wonderful educators in this state. I am just a concerned citizen, parent and chick lover. Thank you all.

You are very right to think this way. I believe that this was a very unreasonable decision made by the teacher and I would have been very concerned. Do not feel that you are thinking wrong in this instance, because you are absolutely correct.

Write a letter to the school principal explaining your concerns. One of the teachers here hatches out chicks, but takes them home to add to her flock. Chicks should definately not be treated in such a careless way, that teaches the children nothing about our obligation to properly care for animals that rely on us.

You may suggest that the teacher research proper care of chicks, and make prior arrangements for their placement. Honestly those children seem a little young for all this - maybe more appropriate for kid more like 3rd grade. And with a more responsible teacher.

On my post I accedentaly wrote "I'm axed" when I meant to say "I'm amazed".

I'm sorry to hear that, fuzzy. It's awful to lose a chicken for any reason. Whereabout in Michigan do you live?

I live in coopersville. No, i guess i didn't tell all that story; blue is not junior's dad another roo was who had to be put down because i couldn't even feed and water him anymore without getting attacked. I was trying to convince myself that since jr wasn't people aggressive it would be ok. His dad was rough with hens, and it progressed with age. I have aperfectly good lonely mini roo that has been inside all winter and i've been unable to find him a gentle lady. (3 yr porcelain d'uccle) I will miss jr but not the antics. It is just hard on me because i can hardly kill flies. You have to do what is best for the flock though or you will have loss down the road; that lesson came hard last couple years. Jr didn't see it coming and got a proper burial.

I got my granddaughter's classroom hatch chicks a few years ago. Teacher does it every year. Chicks usually go back to farmer where they got the eggs from. I lucked out and took them home with me!

Approach that situation from the role of an educator @Spitzboyz Let's all assume that person making decisions was ignorant and a little education can fix that. I think it's a great thing, done properly.

@RaZ good luck next week. I hope ya stay outta jail. I really would have thought that by this time, this would be over for you. You've been a great friend and source of information and I will miss you if you are not here contributing. May luck and the positive energies in the universe be with you.

Comments and opinions? Am I wrong or right to think this way? Am I too concerned or not concerned enough? I am in no way picking a fight with our wonderful educators in this state. I am just a concerned citizen, parent and chick lover. Thank you all.

I agree that the teacher is providing a 'bad' education regarding chickens....better not to do it at all if you're not going to follow thru responsibly when an animals life, and a childs perspective, is at risk.

I'm kind of surprised a teacher was allowed to do this in the first place.....and really wonder what the parent who had live animals thrust upon them thought about the whole thing and whether anyone complained. I hope you follow up on any more news about this situation.

Last edited:
Ugh. I am sick to death of bad broody hens. Gave a 2nd timer a chance with eggs and she did what she did last year: sit on the egg until they hatch and then kill the chicks once they were out of the shell. I caught her before she did much damage this time and took the chick and remaining eggs away. Last night my 1st timer Ameraucana pullet mutilated one of her chicks and killed it. She is now in isolation for a few days to protect the remaining chicks (the other broody in that coop seems to be doing a good job so far although I did find another dead chick in there with no obvious injuries this afternoon.) I have 3 broody silkies and 2 are doing well but the other just did a repeat if the previous batch she hatched out: kicks the chicks out after 1 day and it got too cold last night and died with no mama to keep it warm. The previous hatch it did that on I caught the chick before it was too far gone and managed to save it.

I just don't understand why HALF of my Broodies are doing such an awful job of things!!

That's why I use a heat lamp, too many chicks killed by stupid or aggressive broodies.

@Spitzboyz , your concerns are worthwhile. Please consider writing the teacher a letter who, as Holly says, just needs some education. You have a gentle tone in your description, and that will allow the teacher to understand your point.

Back
Top Bottom