Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Well I looked inside. I dissected her. There was no fluid. The sagging lump was a pot belly fat gut. She could have been the one that snuck into my worm bag though. Sneaky. I have a lot of pictures, but they might gore some here out so I won't post. Anyhow, her liver was brown instead of bright red and healthy. There were a few red areas but not much. Very unhealthy bird. The rest of my 30 birds are just fine for the most part, but two do have scaly legs - only two. So weird. They got scaly legs while I was gone in the hospital. Trying to fix it now. If I can't I'll end the suffering there too. I hate losing birds.

Well I looked inside. I dissected her. There was no fluid. The sagging lump was a pot belly fat gut. She could have been the one that snuck into my worm bag though. Sneaky. I have a lot of pictures, but they might gore some here out so I won't post. Anyhow, her liver was brown instead of bright red and healthy. There were a few red areas but not much. Very unhealthy bird. The rest of my 30 birds are just fine for the most part, but two do have scaly legs - only two. So weird. They got scaly legs while I was gone in the hospital. Trying to fix it now. If I can't I'll end the suffering there too. I hate losing birds.
Wow, really? Surprised no fluid.
Ton of fat in there making her belly hang down and bulge out?
How old was she and what are you feeding?

Scaly leg mites aren't a death sentence, they spread slowly and pretty easy to kill,
with either any kind of petroleum jelly stuff (I use bag balm) or oil shoved under lifted scales to smother mites.
Or permethrin spray will work too.
Will take weeks for funky scales to be replaced tho.

Last edited:

Say what right in the front yard

Baby oil first on legs and then petroleum jelly on after. The baby oil will help the scales fall off much better. Don't get any baby oil on the faces. U can use the baby oil on their feathers as well. And then I would sprinkle seven dust right onto their feathers n rub into their whole body. I also then put the dust in the nest. That's what I do for each bird that comes into the farm.

50 new ducklings this week. I think I have 35 sold though... but 50 added to my 18 left from the last batch... ducks coming out my ears. I'm NOT hatching any more ducks this spring.
Oh well, Keeps me busy... I spend an hour every morning taking care of babies (ducklings, goslings, chicks) and at least an hour every evening doing chores. Good thing summer break is right around the corner (I'm a teacher)

Back
Top Bottom