Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys -- any of you have issues with egg eaters? I've caught one in the act twice now. Went in last night to see her pecking away at one. And then today went in and she was finishing up one. She had egg all over her face and beak. She doesn't eat but one or two eggs. So she's acting alone, thankfully. I've removed her from the others. I've read about the mustard thing, but wondering if it really works. I've also heard -- once an egg eater, always an egg eater. I feed them a laying mash from the feed store. It has oyster shell right in it. I've also been cooking them some eggs lately for added protein. Just wondering if any of you have any advice for me. Thanks!!!!!!

I've heard that too...once an egg eater, always an egg eater. Thankfully I've never had to deal with it.

The eggs that you're feeding your birds...are you crushing them up before you feed them? I've read that if you feed your chickens whole eggs it can initiate egg eating.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Acutally it was just scrambled eggs without the shell. If I ever feed them shells, which isn't very often at all. Like maybe the last time they had crush and baked shells it was fall. Sometimes when I get eggs that are dirty or got cracked in the nest box I scramble them up for them. I've never fed them raw shells. I always bake or boil them and them crush them up in food. Might sound harsh, but if I can't get her to stop eating them, would you make soup out of her? That's what I'm thinking anyways. I just think that the feed (with the added oyster shell) should supply them with enough calcium and they do get leftover broccoli (both fresh and cooked) a couple times a week -- there's calcium in that, too.

That's what I was wondering about her - maybe she's just bored.
barnie.gif
Darn it!!!

Shelley - I see you have Russian Orloffs. How do you like them? Are the hens good layers? Kinda always had an interest in those and the Chanteclers.

10233_coffee_4.gif
Still pretty cold out but at least there isn't much snow to deal with and in just two more months we shouldn't have any at all. I'm thinking about heading south next month. The weather should be a little better than here and I need to spend a little time with my granddaughter. I'm thinking that I may have to stop at both Cackle and Estes hatcheries and pick up a few more birds. I want some black tail white and gray japanese bantams and some LF lakenvelders and Cackle has those and since I'm driving within a mile of Estes I might as well pick up a few more welsummers.

Do they have Buttercups, Sam? Lost mine last fall, and so do miss her. She was a great girl with lots of personality.
Good Morning BYCers! Cold but at least the wind died down! Take care and have a fun day!

Quote:
Good morning, everyone!
frow.gif
Already finished with coffee this morning...got a busy day ahead. We're going over to a friend's house tonight for the game, so I'm cooking up some white chicken chili to take with us.
droolin.gif

ChikeeMomma...I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Orloffs!
love.gif
I got them from a breeder as chicks last summer. And since then, I've actually talked with the gentleman who brought the first Orloffs to the US from Germany many years ago...and my birds can be traced back to them. I just got my first egg a couple of days ago...so I don't know yet how they are as layers. I've read that they're not great layers, but great meat birds. But there's no way I'd ever eat one..they're just too pretty. They have a very mysterious aura (sp?) to them...very mystical almost. As for Chantecler...I can vouch that those ladies are EXCELLENT winter layers. My partridge girls have been laying consistently all winter. They are the only ones who will venture out of the coop on the worst of days to forage...in the snow.
ep.gif
However, I'm selling all of my partridge Chantecler and switching over to Buff.

Good morning all! Or should I say afternoon?! Much nicer today. The temp isn't any different, but no wind sure makes a big difference! I have been outside cleaning, doing some maintenance and things in the barn. My serama's have been spending life in the brooders as it got so cold it was affecting them, so DH built them roosts today so they would stay off the food bowls and water dishes.

I have a litter of baby bunnies that were born Jan 28. Well, we had two litters, but one was a first time mom and didn't take care of them, so we lost that litter.
sad.png
The other mom is doing great, but I do bring the little ones in at night, since it is so cold, then they spend the day outside with mom. They are getting nice are furry now, so soon they can stay out with her all the time. I hate breeding when it is this cold, but our darn fair is so early in the year, it makes it hard for the kids to get their animals old enough and mature enough by fair time.

I will traveling out to NY to pick up my boy Remi from his breeder after some extra training the end of March, he got some extra training because he was playing with the goats too much and she is also going to put him in with her chicken trainer dog. She thinks he is lonely and needs a companion, so I might come home with one of her new pups that were born in January just before I dropped him off. They were sooo cute!
love.gif
Anyone else interested? I could transport for you???
big_smile.png
This breeder is awesome and she is there for you forever, any questions, problems whatever, just email or call. She trains and retrains dogs for people all over the country/world because she just has the inborn understanding of these dogs! Simply amazing!

Quote:
He is a Maremma, similar looking to a Great Pyrenees, but tend not to wander and bark all night like some GP do. A definitely plus when you have neighbors!
tongue.png

Quote:
I've never heard of Maremma before...gotta Google those!
caf.gif
I'm beginning to look into our options for our next dog. I have a red Heeler now, but he's getting old and doesn't play well with children. Our next dog is gonna have a lot of requirements to fill...not just be a guard dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom