Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Michigan wrangler...I'd say we have MORE than 3 inches....it is freaking depressing. My husband is wanting to move back to Florida...lucky for me the house market is too bad for him to put home up for sale! I'm wanting to get another coop but can't due to all the snow. Our 4 wheeler has been stuck in snow for the past week out in the field. I know we need patience but I'm ready for spring and I bet you are too. Are you N.E. or N.W?? I forget. We went to Alpena last weekend and they didn't get the 12-13 inches we did even though they are farther north. Their snow was mostly gone....
Hope you are on Spring Break and relaxing?

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
Outdoor Junkie. Not to far from me. You'll learn alot from this site.

Quote:
I like animals more than people, too.
lol.png
But that is not true in any sense of the word. I personally own a dog who will kill for fun in a heartbeat. She enjoys killing for sport more than anyone or any thing I have ever seen or met in my life. She is darn good at it and her particular technique is actually incredibly gruesome to boot. Domestic cats are known for playing with their prey for fun. I used to have one that would swing mice by the tail, hitting their head on the table leg to knock them out, lay them in the middle of the floor and then step back and wait. When they came to the game would start all over again. This would go one for so many rounds and then he'd quickly and methodically kill the mouse and walk away. He knew exactly what he was doing and every bit of it was for sport. And it is in no way shape or form limited to domestic animals -- foxes, for instance, are notorious for sport killing and can go through a free-range flock in a matter of minutes.

Many a witchy mare has been known for being extremely abusive to her herd. Chickens themselves can be brutally abusive to their flockmates, go read through the 'Managing Your Flock' forum and you will find hundreds of entries evidencing this.

The only thing humans have a corner on is the thinking capability to overanalyze their own -- and everyone else's -- behavior.
roll.png

We hit 40 yesterday and the snow IS melting...what is annoying is that we aren't yet back to where we WERE prior to the last snow dumping!! This is day #19 for me with my first ever hatch in the incubator. I keep going and staring hard at the eggs trying to see if there is ANY movement. Nope. I really hope I get at least one chick....

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better mine never do the rocking and moving thing that other people report. And if I hear movement and go look it's a guarantee they'll stop moving before I get there. My chicks aren't usually very loud before they hatch either. Occasional peeping, but nothing major.

I'm in the northeast near West Branch/Standish.

We hit 40-something yesterday. I told my dad that 3/4 of the snow melted--meaning that we only have 3 inches of snow compared to 12. But at least patches of grass are now showing.

I'm trying to build a coop for my bantam pair and the weather has held me back too!
rant.gif

OK, my chicks are now 1 month old. The nights are still getting down in the teens. Too cold still?

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better mine never do the rocking and moving thing that other people report. And if I hear movement and go look it's a guarantee they'll stop moving before I get there. My chicks aren't usually very loud before they hatch either. Occasional peeping, but nothing major.

It does Olive...but I seem to focus on all the postings that are having pips and zips and everything on day 19 instead of 21. I'll be ok...I think we are going to Cadillac today and that will keep me away from staring at the eggs and obsessing.
Michigan wrangler...I wonder why you got hammered like us and Alpena escaped? I'll have to look at a map...you must be south of Alpena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom