Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The only reason there is this problem is because of the silkie. It's very difficult to see under that laying box where she was, even with a flashlight. We saw the ones that were slowly being shoved against the wall where the laying boxes are. One of the projects we have planned this week is to raise them, but when she was under there, the only way to get to her was to get on your knees. Aric had a nice cut on his nose from doing that and she bit him.

I probably won't make much sense explaining this anymore. I incubated hundreds of reptile eggs so i know the incubator doesn't need to be full. This time it just happened this way. I know which ones were under the silkie and which ones I held back. I wouldn't have held any back had I known there were that many under the silkie!! I have thrown out 6 of them because they were duds and the one that exploded in my face.

Quote:
A 2nd incubator is definitely on the horizon, but can't happen til May 1st. I'm buying two or Aric is making 2 depends on what's going on then. But for now I'm kinda screwed.

Thanks for looking back on that Kim. I forgot I had posted about that!

Scratch that. I will be purchasing a new incubator tomorrow!!!
celebrate.gif
. But it won't solve the issues with the eggs in the current one. If they do start hatching this week, would it be safe to remove them even though I don't know when the rest will hatch?

For your situation, I would wait it out- and once you have fluffy babies, and dont see anymore hatching- take them out quickly and put them in your brooder. Put your eggs that you know the hatch due date- the EE and the ones you were holding to start once you got your incubator- in the new incubator.

Heading out for the incubator soon. I appreciate everyone's input. Once I'm past this batch, everything else will be easy!
smile.png

A co-worker of mine is looking for Aracona (I know I totally spelled that wrong! lol) you know, Easter Eggers lol.
wink.png
Either hens or chicks....if you have some near lansing area let me know! Email me off list please.. [email protected]
Thanks!
big_smile.png

Yeah!! My neighbor got some chicks for the first time! Another addict in the making.
celebrate.gif
They are looking for silkies. They went to the Imlay City swap, but there weren't that many chicks there due to the weather. Shelleyb1969 is my source for silkies, but she has had a devastating loss due to a mink. Please, if any one has silkie chicks, can you let me know. Mia is looking for a black and maybe a partridge or splash. No roosters, please.

A wonderful thing happened this morning. My little broody hen had been setting on her real and glass eggs. I heard peeping. She hatched one little black chick.
jumpy.gif
and still has one good egg in there so I will see what happens. She's small so I only put 8 eggs under her. Some went bad so I did the sniff test and as I'd throw one out I'd replace it with a glass egg or a chick. My incubator chicks are hatching too. hooray hooray. I am going to try to sneak more chicks in with her. I have read about some of you doing that so I though I'd give it a try. Sure made today's snow easier to take.

Anyone have any secret remedies for a chapped comb? My Roo is going to the show on 04/30 and he still has a little bit of a chapped comb from the cold temps this winter. I thought about putting salve on it...any good suggestions?
Thanks!
big_smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom