Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
celebrate.gif
I have my first bantam hatching as I write this!!!! This morning about 2am it was a tiny little pip and now it's a tiny little hole. SO exciting! When I was breeding reptiles egg hatching didn't take this long so this is kinda torture!! lol

Quote:
I'm happy for you!! We considered the beehives also...but to get started it was going to be quite costly and then we heard there is a real problem with bears tearing them up. So we keep trying to find someone who will place THEIR hives on your property...every once in a while I see them advertised on Craig's list.

Congrats Keyt! I can't remember if I posted on this site that Thursday and Friday I hatched out 13 of my 15 BBS English/American Orpingtons! I uploaded the picture and posted somewhere on BYC but haven't spent much time on the computer because finally the weather is BEAUTIFUL!!! I picked up 13 Red Comets (with a few comet/Ameracauna mixes) and a roo on Thursday also. They are about a year old. I wanted eggs this summer...didn't want to wait until October. We will butcher them I guess in the fall. They are penned away from my babies and I am pretty sure they have mites/lice. A couple show evidence on the legs. So I read on Byc...about the Invectin (I may have it spelled wrong) but I'm going to try first the Frontline for kitties...and put it on them as they roost between the shoulders. I'm buying a covered sandbox and putting sand with food grade diamacteous earth for dusting and I'll spray pyrethian in the coop after I take out the fresh bedding . This is a new coop! Does this plan sound like it will work??

FLL, your plan for mites sounds quite effective. I don't see any reason it won't work.

After this set of chicks hatch I think I will wait until the first of June before I hatch any more. That way the chicks will only be a couple of days old at chickenstock. Depending upon how many bantam chicks I need, and if anyone wants them I may hatch some Welsummers as well.

Quote:
You can do like we did. We used straw bales as separators. One wall is one of the fence walls to the chicken coop, the other 3 walls are stacked bales of straw. Then when we put the babies in with the general population, the others didn't really seem to care because they had spent 3 weeks seeing them through the fence. Make sense? We've done it 3 times and it's worked like a charm!

We lost one of our two Brahma hens on Wednesday. Maggie got sick and died in two days. I guess I am glad she went so fast and didn't suffer. I have no idea why. She looked "droopy" and dehydrated. Treated her and Edith with Agrimycin. Had to give it to Maggie by a dropper.
Edith "cried" so bad. She is in Tweeks lap every chance she gets now.

We also gave the 3 Brahma chicks inside some. They went outside yesterday and today. Edith was NOT impressed! "Barked" her displeasure. Not as bad today. She only half heartedly pecked at them through the wire. They will go in the downstairs part of the coop maybe next week. They are in a baby playpen in our living room right now. They are just over a month old and already half as big as Edith!

We will be building a bigger better coop soon and hopefully that will lessen some of the arguments. Only one big girl and three chicks should help the matter too. (I hope).

Do you think the babies will be company for edith yet? We can't be outside to keep her company all the time. She is lonely, I am sure.
70394_5-1-11_30.jpg

All of our critters, Missy, Edith and the babies: Isobel, Elizabeth and Mary.

70394_5-1-11_40.jpg

Edith with her "Rooster" Tweek.

Hello fellow Michiganders,
Does anyone know if there is a poultry swap this weekend? And information please. Thanks
big_smile.png

Quote:
You can do like we did. We used straw bales as separators. One wall is one of the fence walls to the chicken coop, the other 3 walls are stacked bales of straw. Then when we put the babies in with the general population, the others didn't really seem to care because they had spent 3 weeks seeing them through the fence. Make sense? We've done it 3 times and it's worked like a charm!

Thanks for the idea Keyt. Maybe it's just because I've been sick the last few days and my brain is "stuffed up" or I'm just dense, but I don't think that will work for me. To use the run fence as a separator I'd have to build the bale enclosure on the outside of the run other wise the two groups wouldn't be able to see each other. I think I'll try to put up some kind of chicken wire fence in the run to at least get the babies outside in the fresh air. I looked at your pictures on FB and got some ideas. You are so good with the camera!

Chickenstock is rapidly approaching and I look for this year to have a much larger turnout than last year. Silly Chicken was kind enough to make a wonderful poster and if you click on Chickenstock in my signature line and then go to page 2 post 13 you will be able to print the poster and hang it in your local feed store or on your refrigerator to help you remember how soon it will be here. Also check the other links for buy/sell/trade, attendance, and potluck signup.

Intergrating birds into your flock is always a stressful time for both us and the birds. I've found the flock more accepting of new birds if they are placed in the coop after the birds have gone to roost. However, often for several days you may still have fights. This is particularily true if the new bird is of a different color than the others. The oft sited phrase "birds of a feather flock together" could probably be further modified with birds of the same color feather. You may have to remove the new bird and try again later. I usually make sure I am "up with the chickens" to watch for trouble. With most flocks one hen will be the dominant bird that goes after the new one. Some times removing her for a couple of days will ameliate the problem. This often changes the flock dynamics and when you place her back with the flock she will no longer be the dominant bird.

Probably the situation most prone to disaster is placing chicks in with the general population. This is where size does matter. Chicks haven't learned the survival techniques to avoid the larger birds. While some flocks may accept new birds or chicks without a problem many more won't. Just because they may have watched the chicks for weeks doesn't mean they won't consider them to be lunch. I personally don't add chicks to the main flock until they are at least 14 to 16 weeks old and their size more closely resembles that of the flock.

Bantams, inspite of being much smaller can often co-existist with larger fowl due to their more aggressive behavior and will often be the dominant bird of a mixed flock. If it is absolutely necessary to add much smaller birds, a temporary dividing fence with a mesh size too small for the large fowl to pass through can be erected in the run to allow the smaller birds a sanctuary.

Quote:
I'm happy for you!! We considered the beehives also...but to get started it was going to be quite costly and then we heard there is a real problem with bears tearing them up. So we keep trying to find someone who will place THEIR hives on your property...every once in a while I see them advertised on Craig's list.

Congrats Keyt! I can't remember if I posted on this site that Thursday and Friday I hatched out 13 of my 15 BBS English/American Orpingtons! I uploaded the picture and posted somewhere on BYC but haven't spent much time on the computer because finally the weather is BEAUTIFUL!!! I picked up 13 Red Comets (with a few comet/Ameracauna mixes) and a roo on Thursday also. They are about a year old. I wanted eggs this summer...didn't want to wait until October. We will butcher them I guess in the fall. They are penned away from my babies and I am pretty sure they have mites/lice. A couple show evidence on the legs. So I read on Byc...about the Invectin (I may have it spelled wrong) but I'm going to try first the Frontline for kitties...and put it on them as they roost between the shoulders. I'm buying a covered sandbox and putting sand with food grade diamacteous earth for dusting and I'll spray pyrethian in the coop after I take out the fresh bedding . This is a new coop! Does this plan sound like it will work??

Fife, I also found some mites on some birds we just acquired and was going to look into the Frontline thing, how much do you think is the right dosage? and can I get this pyrethian at my feed store?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom